Aspire 7 Laptop (A715-72G-53T5) SSD M.2 not detected - No Bootable Device

MyNewLogin
MyNewLogin Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I was happy with this laptop for 2 years but recently a problem showed up with my ssd. I am using two drives, ssd m.2 for a windows 10 system and hdd. I didn't have any problems with them till the last week.

I've tried to turn on the laptop but it was hanged on a starting screen (with an acer inscription), there was no loading icon. After a while the "No Bootable Device" inscription showed up. I've entered bios and the interesting thing is that both disks have been recognized in the information tab (including ssd m.2 drive)! I've tried doing many things in bios, like:
-resetting to defaults
-resetting secure boot
-erasing secure boot configuration
-disabling secure boot

Since the bios is new, I couldn't change the boot mode from uefi to legacy (this is something that helped other people with similar problems). I was kind of desperate and I also tried inserting a windows system on a Pendrive to run some repair tools, I was able to run some commands on hdd disk but ssd was not recognized. After a while (after erasing secure boot for a n-th time) laptop booted correctly, everything was working fine, but it happened again. This time I've read about one guy that had a similar problem when he had 3 disks at the same time, I can't really find this link again, but he mentioned a power supply unit and told that he needed to turn the pc off and on again at least few times, I've tried that (without changing anything in the bios again). I've tried that and it helped, laptop was running fine for some time, but it happened two more times and now I can't boot it at all. I've also checked the CMOS battery, but it shows 3,13V. BIOS version is 1.19. Is there anything else I could try before sending it for repair?

One additional note: I've never noticed any problems with my ssd, this is happening when I am turning on my laptop, it has never turned off by itself.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    @MyNewLogin
    Install new window from bootable usb
    While installing format that disk in which preinstalled window store and install new one in that disk
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • MyNewLogin
    @GAMING6698 The problem is, that the bootable usb does not recognize the ssd. When I open cmd I can find only hdd. I can find ssd only in the information tab in bios. I was trying to use diskpart, bootrec but it didn't help.
  • GAMING6698
    edited July 2020
    @MyNewLogin
    Boot into BIOS, and set SATA to AHCI Mode. 
    (Press ctrl+S if there is no sata option)
    Save and exit 
    Now, check if bootable usb recognized the ssd

• MyNewLogin
    edited July 2020
    @GAMING6698 Ok, I forgot to mention that I did that too and the only difference is that now I have very little time to press F2 to enter bios. It shows the no bootable device message almost immediately after acer logo is being shown.

EDIT: the other option is RST with Optane
  • MyNewLogin
    Also, when secure boot is enabled and I open the "select an uefi file as trusted for execution" option, there is empty screen, like no options available.
  • GAMING6698
    @MyNewLogin
    I have an idea first tell me if ssd is showing under bios boot tab→boot order

• MyNewLogin
    @GAMING6698 No, it is not, when I use F12 option it is also not in the list
  • GAMING6698
    Wait for @egydiocoelho @xapim reply 

• Can you send a photo of the bios information guide, to check if both ssds and hdd are showing?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MyNewLogin
    edited August 2020

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • MyNewLogin
    I don't know if this is normal behavior, but if I plug in a bootable pendrive and open bios, then the ssd is not even in the information tab. Also, the bootable pendrive is working every time only if I plug it in the usb 3.0 port on the left side of laptop. When I plug it in the either of usb 2.0 ports on the right side, it is not recognized most of the time. Maybe there is a problem with a motherboard and power supply?
  • I don't know if this is normal behavior, but if I plug in a bootable pendrive and open bios, then the ssd is not even in the information tab.

So, the ssd is only recognized in the information tab of the bios, when you remove the usb stick? Regarding the other problem, have you checked if this card is connected correctly?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MyNewLogin
    @egydiocoelho Yes, ssd is being recognized only if there is no pendrive. I will check the card with usb ports.
  • Does the same problem occur when updating the bios to version 1.28, which is the most recent for this model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MyNewLogin
    @egydiocoelho Ok, I'll try to update the bios, but when I was using the acer software on windows (don't remember the name), it didn't show any available updates. I did it when my laptop was ocassionally working.
  • OK! But remember that updating the bios is a risky procedure and I am not responsible for any damage.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MyNewLogin
    @egydiocoelho Don't worry, I know;). The thing is that I wanted to create a pendrive with a bios update, bo there are two .fd files there: DH53F_10.fd and DH53F_1A.fd. Their size is the same, do you think that they are just copies and I need to pick just one of them?

• MyNewLogin
    @egydiocoelho Update: I updated the bios, it shows the correct version, (apparently you need to have both fd files on a pendrive with their names unchanged), the problem is that bios now doesn't see any drive at all. I wonder if I made a mistake, because I left those drives in my laptop while updating bios, I will check at least hdd tomorrow on pc.
  • MyNewLogin
    @egydiocoelho So the drive itself is working, but my laptop is not recognizing it. I've also noticed that if I removed all drives, bios is booting very quickly, the message no bootable device is showing also very quick. But when I have my ssd drive in, it is taking a long time to either enter bios or pop the message.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    You have updated the bios to version 1.26, correct? This is not the latest version. The latest version is 1.28: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.28_A_A.zip?acerid=637032639261317550&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO AN515-52&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    it is a risky procedure and I am not responsible for any damage.
    After updating the bios, press f9 to restore it and then click save and shut down. Then restart the battery:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhgnxUJoZo&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=9&t=0sThat way, you will fix some bugs

egydiocoelho Trailblazer