New Spin 3 sp314-54, where does extra ram and ssd slot located?

xxduffyxx
xxduffyxx Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi I bought a new Acer Spin 3 sp314-54-50JD
I have a 8GB ram I want to add to it and 500 GB SSD 2.5  . I have it opened up but it looks nothing like the other models I have seen videos on. If someone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. I bought it through our PX like military store so I had limited options and thought I could supe it up. 

Best Answer

Answers

• xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

Like where can I install the 8 GB ram that is supposed to fit this model. Or where can I put the 500GB SSD. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You have only a onboard memory in this model, it's next to the fan(first snip), so you can not upgrade memory, you have a second slot for M.2 PCIe SSD next to battery and just above the CMOS battery(second snip).

• xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

Hi,
    You have only a onboard memory in this model, it's next to the fan(first snip), so you can not upgrade memory, you have a second slot for M.2 PCIe SSD next to battery and just above the CMOS battery(second snip).

Hi so I could add SSD I need to get M.2 PCIe SSD, I guess I will return the amazon parts and get the right SSD for this model. 
  • brummyfan2
    Yes, that's correct, you can install a second 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD in the slot.
  • xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

Yes, that's correct, you can install a second 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD in the slot.
    Could I go up to 1TB SSD m.2. MBMe.?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yes, you can put any size you can afford in there. Acer shipped with a maximum of 512GB, but there's no inherent limit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

Hi,

I put a Crucial 1TB SSD m.2 plcin the slot and cloned the drive. Now I have the main OS running off the crucial 1TB SSD but it appears that I have the original on the Kingston 256gb SSD it came with.

Can I safely delete the original info off that drive ,it's not a tonne of data now that I have 1TB ,just wasn't sure if I should. I would create another back up on a old external HD first. I don't want to muck up something for no reason.  I am not as computer literate as I once was 20 years ago and a lot has changed in the interim from the last CPU I modded. I just want to have the ability to do some photography and video editing /vlogging. I am not a gamer and I liked this model out of the options available as it's a 2 in 1 with Windows OS.

I already have a very expensive Chromebook, the first Google Pixelbook(in hindsight Microsoft Surface or Surface Book or many other options would have been a better choice. This was over 2 years ago and  I bought a sub $500 Asus Walmart special the day I got out of the hospital. During my 8days in the hospital within 48 hours of the ambulance taking me to the hospital my apartment was robbed of everything of value.

I had a lot of electronics,laptops, IPad and full sets of tools for motorcycle mechanics and a large knife collection I had spent years building, along with putting everything on digital devices basically lost my past as I lost all my photos and documents now sitting in some pawn shop.
    I was in the hospital for 8 days in 2016.  They trashed the place, I was not in a good state of mind and had recently moved and hadn't gotten insurance yet so $30K of possessions were stolen and I got evicted. 

Is their anything else for this model that I can upgrade further?

Any artists have software suggestions for photography and video, audio editing on Windows OS?

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Yes, you have to keep the OS only in one drive, so once you make sure that you have cloned the original drive to your satisfaction, you can format the original SSD, as for your other questions please wait for someone else to chime in or start a new thread for more views from other members.
  • thesgsniper
    thesgsniper Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi, I tried posting a question but it's under moderation, just in case it did not go through, for the Acer Spin 5 2020 which this thread is about, I can't install Wacom Feel Driver even though the sticker says Wacom Feel. The pressure sensitivity feels nothing like 4096 levels, and I have an older wacom aes device with 2048 levels of pressure than has a better stroke than in original. 
  • xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Yes, you have to keep the OS only in one drive, so once you make sure that you have cloned the original drive to your satisfaction, you can format the original SSD, as for your other questions please wait for someone else to chime in or start a new thread for more views from other members.
    From the original question, where you point out the two spots, I was revisiting this and watched a YouTube reviewer who said that the 8G ram on the Kingston chipset 4G is soldered in place but the other 4 Gb ram as you pointed out by the fan, under the foil can be upgraded. I  put the extra SSD in the picture two slot for m.2 .  Was this a specific Spin 3 since it had the same specs, possibly different model made for South West Asian market.

Still cannot get the stylus to work. After multiple attempts, with acer support none worked. It's running stable but no built in stylus, if I, go into device manager it will says in the HID properties failed to initiate due to file migration fail or something like that.

I have about given up on using this for drawing design and am back doing it with way less CPU power with the super expensive(initially) gen 1  pixelbook which is limited to the google play store and chrome OS extensions.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    @xxduffyxx you should probably start your own thread with your full model number, likely something like SP3xx-xxx-xxxx. Tell us what you're seeing, what you expect instead and what you have tried so far. Only some models support the active stylus...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.