Acer Aspire TC885 Intermittent Hum From Case

Options
Snooker
Snooker Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have just received the above computer, but it makes an intermittent hum and if you press the case slightly the noise stops and I am receiving a small rubber mat for it to sit on tomorrow to see if that sorts out the issue

I have looked at the case and it appears to be riveted on, so no screws to slightly tighten

The noise is not connected to the work load of the computer it is random, and sometimes leaning on the table in a certain way can bring the noise on

I had the Acer Aspire XC600 previously with no problems

I think the hum is probably coming from the main fan, and being amplified by my table top if the computer is not sitting flush

Any idea's, this sort of fault could not really be fixed at the service centre I would think unless they could replace the riveted case ?

Best Answer

• Snooker
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have taken the back off and put some insulation tap on the two edges seems to have worked, its a nice tight fit now

Answers

• Snooker
    Options
    I have since found out that just one of the panels comes off, so will keep it off for say a week and see if that is causing the issue, then with some pliers may bend the metal tabs in slightly to make sure the panel is a tight fit when I refit it, I hate intermittent faults as if you take it back to acer they may miss the times it plays up and they might not hear the issue with background noise in their workshop, just like my gadgets to work as expected
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, more than likely it's the fan. The motherboard monitors the CPU temperature and changes the fan speed as needed, so it'll sometimes be real quiet and sometimes get louder.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Snooker
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have taken the back off and put some insulation tap on the two edges seems to have worked, its a nice tight fit now