Laptop switch off if charger unplugged

FMZ
FMZ Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Acer spin 1 sp111-31 gets switched off as soon as i remove the charger even though battery is almost 100% charged. Please advise 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It could be the battery is going bad or it could be the battery is disconnected from the MB. Are you still in warranty? Have you tried a battery reset or recalibration?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FMZ
    FMZ Member Posts: 4 New User
    I followed the below steps. But still it didnt resolve the issue .

1) shut down the laptop
    2) removed the charging cable 
    3) removed the battery from the laptop
    4) long press on reset button almost 30seconds
    5) inserted the battery
    6)connected the charging cable
    7) switched on the laptop

I can see that charging is stuck at 91% and not moving further even if i keep it for hours. Once the remove he charging cable laptop get switched off

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    OK, you've done most of a battery reset and that didn't help. I assume that 4) was really a long press on the power button? Normally we want to have you wait between 6) and 7) long enough that the battery shows a full charge before turning it back on. Let go ahead and do a Windows calibration to make sure that's also not the issue. It's going to be really fast to cycle through, until it starts working anyway. Turn on the laptop and disconnect power, wait for it to shutdown due to low battery (this is happening immediately right now, so try turning it on a bunch of times with the power disconnected because each time to draw down the battery just a smidgen more). Once it's fully down plug the power back in and wait for the charge indicator to show fully charged. Turn it back on and repeat the process. Try at least several times to see if you can get it to actually last a while on battery. If you can then it will start to plateau with some length of time. Then we can look at battery stats in Windows and get some good numbers. The 91% is obviously off...
    Let us know how that works out, or if it doesn't at all. The next step is likely a battery replacement, but I hate to do that when it turns out to be a calibration issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.