No bootable device even though hard drive detected in BIOS

FMZ
FMZ Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have Acer spin 1 sp111-31 series laptop model N16W2. Recently my hard drive got crashed I bought new hard drive and installed the windows OS using another laptop and assembled the new hard drive in Acer laptop. 
But whenever I am trying to start the laptop it shows no bootable device even though it is detecting the hard drive and in boot option I have selected this hard drive. Also there is no option available in BIOS to modify the boot mode.
Appreciate if any one come across such issue. Please advise

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yup,  you can't UEFI boot an MBR drive... I'd guess your other machine is old enough to be using Legacy boot, so it naturally assumed that's what you wanted on the drive. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Is the new drive setup as GPT and UEFI? If you installed the OS to it on a different computer it might not be correct for your computer. Best is to install the OS on a fresh drive while it's plugged into the computer the OS will be running on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FMZ
    FMZ Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thanks billsey...i have resolved this issue....
    Prepared the win 10 setup in pendrive used the rufus. And conveted the hard disk to GPT.

This resolved the issue.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yup,  you can't UEFI boot an MBR drive... I'd guess your other machine is old enough to be using Legacy boot, so it naturally assumed that's what you wanted on the drive. :)