Overheating on Nitro 5

Options
sonikr
sonikr Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, so I purchased an Acer Nitro 5 (AN517-51) a week ago and am running to issues in terms of overheating. From its initial configuration I have installed an old toshiba 450GB HDD that I had lying around and installed Intel XTU and set a -0.130V undervolt after seeing the most it could take (as advised from several sites to help improve performance - checked the comparison on Cinebench and it did improve cpu performance from around 2100 to 2400 on their benchmark). I'm not sure if it's a big issue but on the Intel XTU the power limit throttling and current/edp limit throttling both toggle from no to yes, therefore I tried to see what happens when I keep the voltage at 0 offset, but it still keeps toggling so I just kept the undervolt on. My current Intel XTU settings are shown below. 

I have installed several games and apps such as AutoCAD, Revit, etc. For the most part, these apps run fine, no issues with serious overheating, but the problem comes when I want to play AAA titles such as death stranding, control, fortnite, etc. My CPU starts overheating and reaches upto 97 degrees! I'm not sure if that's normal for intel CPU's but i'm pretty certain it won't last long if I keep it at that temp for several hours. In terms of fans, I have tried different settings with the nitro sense app; max, auto, cool boost on/off, but none of these seem to have any positive effect (picture shown below). 

The CPU for my model is the i7-9750h paired with an rtx 2060 with 8gb ram in dual channel (default setup). Could the problem somehow be my old HDD I'm using? Is there anything else I can do to help with the thermals? I'm not to keen on repasting my CPU and GPU, I know that will help, but don't want to risk it, at-least not just yet. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I can`t imagine a HDD to cause overheating and if it`s overheating even undervolted then I can guess two possible reasons 
    1. Ambient T is too high
    2. Thermal paste is bad or old 
    As the re-paste is not on the table at this moment, the only "solution" would be to get a cooling pad
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I can`t imagine a HDD to cause overheating and if it`s overheating even undervolted then I can guess two possible reasons 
    1. Ambient T is too high
    2. Thermal paste is bad or old 
    As the re-paste is not on the table at this moment, the only "solution" would be to get a cooling pad
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158