I have this weird sound on YouTube, can't find any info on it. Extensa EX2519.

DanE92
DanE92 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
For over a week I have been hearing this odd noise when I watch videos on YouTube. It sounds like a chirping noise. There are a few things about it that I can't explain. Firstly, I only hear it on YouTube. I can do anything else, including watching videos elsewhere, and I won't hear it. If I pause or mute the video on YouTube, the chirping stops. When I continue the video it returns.

I have asked on both Microsoft and YouTube communities, looking for an explanation, and found nothing. I have no updates for Windows and it can't be an audio issue with the laptop since it only happens on one website. But, I just can't find anything about it. No videos about fixing it, no Reddit threads, nothing. I can't figure it out.

I know that this is perhaps a bit too off topic, seeing how it is not focused on an Acer product, but I'm just trying to find some info about this. At all.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Is this using the laptop speakers, external speakers or a headset? Does it make a difference?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DanE92
    I only use the laptop speakers.
  • billsey
    There are a couple of things that might affect it. YouTube might have changed their encoding and that is reflected in the weird sounds. You could try different browsers to see if it's inherent in YouTube or is the browser decoding that's not right. If it's browser independent then it's still possible it's something on your end. Look to see if the audio is using any software enhancements. If it is try to disable them and see if the issue changes. If you've not been able to pin it down with either of those than you are likely right and it's a YouTube issue... Though if that were the case I'd expect more complaints.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DanE92
    It does happen on other browsers, not just Firefox. I have also looked around in my audio settings for Windows 10. All sound effects are disabled. No software enhancements that I can find. The noise itself isn't very loud so it would be easy for some people to overlook it. Checked again for audio driver updates, but found nothing new. Considering changing the advanced Speaker Properties. Maybe drop it to 44100 Hz and see if that helps.
  • billsey
    I'd look more toward video codecs that YouTube is using to do the video display, the audio stream comes off that. If other audio sources aren't causing the noise then it's more than likely the issue isn't with the audio directly, it just playing what it's told.