Disabling PC Graphic upon Resume/Standby/Boot?

Options
jakfish
jakfish Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
My Acer Aspire Z24-890-UA91 issues a graphic when returning from resume/standby. It seems to be a monitor listing of some sort--it's a large icon that says "PC" Then, it disappears.

It's annoying since it blocks the box for typing in the PIN. I don't need that update; I know that I'm using a PC. I checked BIOS, but didn't see any way to disable this.

Any ideas to remove the icon?

Thanks,
Jake

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Can you show us a picture of it? I don't think I've seen it before...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jakfish
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thank you for posting and sorry not to get back until now; I have just seen your post.

I can't seem to capture the screenshot of the icon (which is a gray-brown icon, squarish, with "PC" in the middle and a thick arrow protruding out of the right side). Just before the machine sleeps, the icon appears again and says "monitor not connected."

There's a split-second that the icon remains on the desktop screen (after logging in from sleep), and I've taken the screenshot, but the icon doesn't appear in the screenshot. It does appear upon boot, which makes me think this is a BIOS/Acer thing rather than Win10's.

Sorry I can't post the screenshot and I searched google images or it, to no avail.
  • billsey
    Options
    Try getting it with your phone camera... If it's too fast for a snapshot take a little video instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jakfish
    Options
    Okay, here are they are and I very much appreciate you following up on this. First one is when PC is going to sleep. The second is when PC is resuming.
  • billsey
    Options
    Those both look like images the monitor is putting up, not something the OS does. What monitor is it?
  • jakfish
    Options
    It's an Acer Aspire Z24-890-UA91: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Z24-890-UA91-i5-9400T-802-11ac-Wireless/dp/B07R4PQJNM

In Device Manager, under Display Adapters, I find "Intel UHD Graphics 630" and its BIOS device name is \_SB.PC10.GFX0

I would agree: it's an icon from the monitor, not Win10, which would account for the difficult of taking a screenshot, perhaps.
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, here's the relevant info from the manual:
    It looks like the OSD button toggles display or no display of the icons. Try seeing whether you can just turn it off. :) If that doesn't work the button might be sticking...
  • jakfish
    Options
    Very much obliged to you for sticking with this. The PC-In icon on the OSD menu matches the one appearing at boot/sleep, so this is indeed the right place. Unfortunately, I have only two options: Display Off and Exit. The rest are grayed-out; I can't seem to make PC-In as the true default and stop its popups. It's as if Acer took a monitor and stuck on the rest of the all-in-one components. The monitor doesn't seem to know it's now part of a team and continues to search for itself, but I don't know that for certain.

Thanks again for your help.