Some keys stopped working suddenly (Esc, Alt, Shft, F3). How to recover?

NageshAras
NageshAras Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

I have Aspire A513-53 with Windows 10 Home (64 bits). This week four keys stopped working all of a sudden: Esc, Alt, Shft and F3.
The Alt Gr key and the Shft key on the right-hand side of the keyboard are working fine. AFIKT, all the other keys are working normally. 

There was no spillage on the keyboard.

I made sure that all Windows updates are installed. 
I restarted the laptop.

I  ran the Device Manager and uninstalled the keyboard drivers. Then I restarted the laptop.
This did not help.

Then I reset the laptop (quick-formatting of the Windows partition, but did not reformat the  other partition.)
But this has not helped either.

What could be the reason?

I haven't re-installed the drivers provided on the Acer's website yet.
Strangely, they do not include the keyboard drivers, although I was allowed to uninstall the keyboard drivers earlier.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Models a515-51 and a315-53 share the same hardware. Check out this topic: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/892829/#Comment_892829
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NageshAras

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks for the fantastic support!

As shared earlier, the technician replaced the keyboard and now the laptop is working fine. 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Models a515-51 and a315-53 share the same hardware. Check out this topic: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/892829/#Comment_892829
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NageshAras

Tinkerer

Thanks for that tip: Just 2 weeks ago, two of my USB 2.0 ports had started working erratically; and the technician traced the fault to a flat cable (which is common between the two ports) had become loose. He simply cleaned the cable with a wipe, and re-inserted the cable and locked it.

It is very likely that the flat cable of the keyboard got loosened when the technician repaired the USB ports.
  • So I suggest you check the keyboard connector:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NageshAras

Tinkerer

edited July 2020
    Thanks!
    I have contacted the technician who did the repair, and he will come tomorrow to check out the connections...
  • Is the problem still occurring?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NageshAras

Tinkerer

update: the technician found that the cable was not loose. So he has concluded that the keyboard is faulty and needs to be replaced. Acer will replace the keyboard shortly.

Thanks for the support, folks! I hope I will be able to extend equally good support to others in this community!
  • These videos will help you change the keyboard:
    They are videos in Portuguese. But it is not necessary to understand the Portuguese language!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NageshAras

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks for the fantastic support!

As shared earlier, the technician replaced the keyboard and now the laptop is working fine. 
  • Great. Accept the answer that helped you, to put the thread as resolved.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NageshAras

Tinkerer

I will need help here:

As shared, all the suggestions were actually helpful, but finally it turned out to be faulty keyboard, and the Acer technician did it.
    Given this, which of the answers here gets the vote?

Secondly, I would like to mark the thread as "solved". But I don't see any button for that. What is the process?
  • Below the answers, is there a "YES" or "NO" link?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer