Helios 300 randomly shutting down and not turning back on for 5 min (battery works fine)

fayino
fayino Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hello all,
I purchased my Helios 300 almost 2 years ago and it's been working fine up until now. Ever since a few weeks ago, it will shut down at random times of the day for no apparent reason. The PC is definitely not overheating, as the temperatures are usually below 70ºC and it will even randomly shut down during the middle of the night while it's idling. The battery is also always fully charged.

When it shuts down, it's not just a regular shutdown. It will also not turn on for 5 minutes (sometimes less). When I attempt to turn it on, nothing will light up and it will automatically turn itself back off after a few seconds. 5 or so minutes later, when I try to turn it back on, the following sequence will happen: the computer and keyboard (but not monitor) will turn on, then it will turn itself off, then it will by itself turn back on (keyboard lights also), then it will turn itself off again, and then it will finally turn itself on for good (keyboard, monitor, everything). It's a very strange sequence of events and it happens with no input of my own, almost like it's trying to turn itself on but can't.

This may happen once a couple of days, or multiple times a day. I've tried repasting it, draining the battery, adding electrical tape to the interlock switch so it's always pressed (though from what I've seen, there is no switch where it apparently should be), and now I've finally run out of ideas. Any tips? Please don't suggest sending it back for repairs as the only repair centre around me isn't working due to the lockdown.

Thank you!!

Answers

• What is the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. What is the version of the bios? Does this problem occur when using the notebook on battery only? Have you checked your battery for wear?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • fayino

Tinkerer

Hey egydiocoelho, thanks for responding!
    The model is PH315-51. Bios version is Insyde Corp. V1.19, 13/07/2018.
    I have not tested if problem occurs when it's on battery only, as I always use it plugged in. I will unplug the charger randomly and check if it happens, but I don't know how to test this properly since the battery only lasts ~40 minutes.
    I have not checked the battery for wear, since I don't believe it is a battery problem. Do you think it's battery related?

Thanks
  • Try these procedures:
    a) first update the bios: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/7572?b=1

Models an515-52 and ph315-51 share the same bios and the same motherboard. I am not responsible for any damage.
    it is a risky procedure and I am not responsible for any damage. Do the procedure carefully.

If updating the bios does not solve the problem, follow this procedure:
    a) access the bios and then press f9 to restore it and then click save and shut down;
    b) then, perform the battery reset:
    On some models, it is necessary to turn off the notebook, disconnect the power adapter and press the power button for 12 seconds.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • fayino

Tinkerer

Hey egydiocoelho, thanks for responding again!
    I will try updating the bios and report back!

As a side note, I have already done a battery reset and it did not change anything.
    Also, I tried your suggestion of using it unplugged, and it keeps shutting down even when it's using the battery. I don't think battery is the problem.

It seems that the shutdowns almost always happen when the computer is doing something memory intensive. Even though the temperatures don't get very high (60-70ºC max according to ThrottleStop) maybe some other component is overheating? It almost never shuts down when it's idle or when browsing the internet, though it has happened.

If you believe it is software related I could format it and see if it makes any difference, as a last resort.

Thanks
  • Does the windows event viewer point to any specific errors? Have you tried to run the test memory by the cortana?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey,
    Updated the BIOS, but it still happens :(

No specific errors on the windows event viewers as far as I can tell. After boot the error is always "The previous system shutdown at XX:XX:XX on XX/‎XX/‎XXXX was unexpected.". No events before shutdown.

I ran mdsched.exe, the Windows Memory Diagnostic (I assume that's what you meant by "run the test memory by the cortana") but it didn't detect any errors.

Thanks
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    fayino test your ram with memtest64 also you should check your battery wear either with hwinfo or battery bar pro if more than 20% u should consider replacing it asap as it has become faulty did u noticed any bsods you can check with bluescreen viewer also did windows updated anything lately as windows updates tent to harm more than do good you should disable windows from update drivers/firmware or even completely the last solution i suggest in case your acer recovery partition its still intact it to backup whatever you need and perform a stock recovery clean install ALT+F10 on boot and delete everything option to completely rule out any software issues either way good luck i hope u get it sorted :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey xapim,

The shutdowns still happen when the battery is removed :( so it is definitely not a battery problem.
    There are no BSODs. The computer just shuts down instantly.

I will definitely do a clean format as a last resort, but I really don't believe it's a software issue. Then again, I have no idea what it actually could be...
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    fayino check the event viewer u should find error there of when it  shuts down  windows system logs and from there try to search for it good luck

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey xapim,
    As I posted earlier, there are no errors or events before the shutdowns. Afterwards, the error is always "The previous system shutdown at XX:XX:XX on XX/‎XX/‎XXXX was unexpected.". 
  • Is there a power button in the ram compartiment?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey egydiocoelho,
    Thanks for your patience and attention. There is no button on the RAM compartment as far as I can see. Here are some pictures:

I think in some models that white square is supposed to be a button, but there isn't one here. In fact, the cover is shaped so that it goes in that hole and "presses" the button, but there is nothing to press...

Also I formatted the computer and it still happens, so I guess it's not a software problem either.

Thanks again
  • Can you inform the exact model of your notebook and check if the power adapter is 135w or 180w? Example ph315-51-58vh.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey egydiocoelho, thanks for responding again,
    Where do I find the exact model number? From msinfo32, and the Acer website (inputting my serial number), all I get is "PH315-51".
    The adaptor is 180W, model "ADP-180MB K". But these shutdowns happen even while the adaptor is plugged off.

In other news, ever since my last comment (6 days ago), it didn't randomly shut down once, even through heavy usage. I did not change anything. This makes me believe that it's not related to temperature, but I don't know what it could be related to. It's not related to software either, or the battery... it seems completely random. I really have no idea what to do. :(

• fayino

Tinkerer

It seems I can't edit the previous message so I'll make a new post.

I have found the exact model. It is "PH315-51-78NP".

Here is another picture:

• Can you check the health of your hard drive and ssd with the crystaldiskinfo program? Besides said, run the memory test on windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fayino

Tinkerer

Hey egydiocoelho!
    I ran the Windows memory test and it didn't find any problems. I will run memtest86 to see if it says something different.
    I also downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and the results are: HDD is Good (34-36ºC), SDD is Good 90% (33-34ºC).

In the past I undervolted the pc to achieve lower temperatures. I read that undervolting can cause the pc to shut down and not turn on for a few more minutes. I don't do it any more, but could this be the cause? 

Thanks!
  • fayino

Tinkerer

0 errors with memTest86
  • Check the battery wear with hwinfo64 and also check if there is a specific error, in the system tab of the windows event viewer.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• fayino

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Hey egydiocoelho,
    Like I posted 2 weeks ago, the battery has no problems, and the shutdowns happen even when the battery is removed, so it can't be a battery problem.

There is no specific errors on the Windows Event Viewer other than "The previous shutdown was unexpected". The only "errors" I see other than that are DistributedCOM Warnings (Event ID 10016), which I get all the time (1-2 per minute) and they don't do anything.

After the computer turns on, these are some of the Information messages I get:

The operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎08‎-‎02T06:28:19.500000000Z.
    Virtualization-based security (policies: 0) is disabled.
    There are 0x1 boot options on this system.
    The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true.
    The boot menu policy was 0x1.
    The boot type was 0x0.
    The previous system shutdown at 03:26:54 on ‎02/‎08/‎2020 was unexpected.