Does Acer Swift 3-52 support video over USB-C / DisplayPort Alt Mode

Connor_U
Connor_U Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I was wondering if it's posible to use displayport over alt mode on Acer Swift 3-52

Answers

• what is the exact model? Example sf315-52-58vh.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

Acer Swift  314-52
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

• Its USB 3.1 port is first generation and without Display Port support, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Remember that you can still get video, you just have to have the appropriate dock.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

Hey @billsey
    which types of adapters should I use
  • billsey
    There have been a lot of people lately putting small docks on their systems, it usually gives them an Ethernet port, a couple or video ports and some USB ports. You have a USB-c gen 1 connector, so if you want to use that pick one from this one is about the first one that popped up in my search, likely not the best but probably one of the more popular models (or else they paid Amazon to stick it higher in the searches). If you would prefer you can use a USB 3.0 port instead, there are just as many of those docks...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

My questions is wouldn’t video still be blocked due to the computer only supporting USB-C Gen 1 and not gen 2?
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

@billsey
    My questions is wouldn’t video still be blocked due to the computer only supporting USB-C Gen 1 and not gen 2?
  • If your monitor has a USB 3.1 port, it will work. However, if your monitor has only one DP port, it will not work, as the first USB 3.1 port does not support display via the DP port.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    The docks do their own video and only use the USB to get display information. That means they can treat it like any other data stream and not extract a DP stream. The gen 2 ports that support DP over USB-C just need to provide the DP connector on the monitor end without any video circuitry, so they tend to be cheaper. I was using docks with VGA out on them back in the USB 2.0 days, the new ones just take advantage of the faster data with USB 3.1 gen 1 and USB 3.1 gen 2 to give better resolution and faster refresh rates than those old ones did.
  • Connor_U

Tinkerer

What I was trying to say was the laptop doesn’t a DisplayPort. I was attempting to use the 3.1 Gen 1 USB-C Port on laptop to connect to DisplayPort on Monitor
    @billsey
  • @Connor_UUnfortunately, this procedure will not be possible.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Yes, you can't just use a cable because the gen 1 ports do not support DP over USB. But you can connect a monitor anyway by using a dock, albeit with lower performance than direct DP.