Aspire TC-780 (KBL) USB 3.0 issues

Xeratais167
Xeratais167 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys/gals I have a aspire tc-780 (KBL) with a intel I7 7700 (Non K) and I been having issues with the usb 3.0 ports from day one. Don't matter device type any external storage will result in the same issue. If i connect the device (any external storage device that is superspeed (usb 3.0 or 3.1)) it will work as normal but as soon as I load the device down IE, copying files and or doing a system back up and reading files, it will disconnect randomly after about 2 to 5 minutes. It does the same when reading too. I can leave the device plugged in and it won't disconnect sever hours but as soon as I actually start using said devices it will drop out.  I am running windows 10 Home x64 version 10.0.1941.329 (2004) and it did this with the factory version it shipped with.
By the way this is a intel sunrise point chipset..

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Go buy a SIIG PCIE x1 USB3.0 4-port card for around $20 and forget all about the problems.
  • Xeratais167
    well I have three of them from a old media server I had but that is not how I am going to solve my issue as I am not loosing the performance gains my discrete gpu gives me just to have a working usb 3 solution. I was trying to see if anyone could help me resolve the issue with intel's built in solution. (just like a car don't fix it if it aint broke. in this case it works and is not broken it is a software issue not a hard ware issue.)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Are the devices in question externally powered, or do they get their power from the USB port. Is it tough to get the connectors fully seated? Do any of the connectors conflict with each other physically?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Xeratais167
    Well I have a we elements 2tb drive which draws power from the USB port ( which works fine via USB 2.0) then I have a probox 8 bay external hard drive enclosure which has it's own built in power supply and both have the same issue. I can plug them into my other of via it's built in USB 3 ports with no issues. Power issues can be ruled out and I know I don't have any issues with my power supply in my computer as it's a Corsair 750m I think but it supply's 12.3 volts idle on the 12 volt rail and 4.9 on the 5 volt rail ( within spec) none of the connectors conflict at all. It did this in the original Acer chassis and it is still doing it in my cooler master chassis
  • Xeratais167
    Well I have a we elements 2tb drive which draws power from the USB port ( which works fine via USB 2.0) then I have a probox 8 bay external hard drive enclosure which has it's own built in power supply and both have the same issue. I can plug them into my other of via it's built in USB 3 ports with no issues. Power issues can be ruled out and I know I don't have any issues with my power supply in my computer as it's a Corsair 750m I think but it supply's 12.3 volts idle on the 12 volt rail and 4.9 on the 5 volt rail ( within spec) none of the connectors conflict at all. It did this in the original Acer chassis and it is still doing it in my cooler master chassis
    I don't think the chassis is the issue just throwing that out there that that's the only major difference from stock aside from the PSU and gpu
  • billsey
    Hmm, what happens when you really load it down? Start a script that copies the same file from the drive over and over again, so it doesn't have to seek much. That should give a petty steady data load without any real pauses. Does it still disconnect? If not we may be looking at a glitch in the power handling, where it decides to turn the port off to save energy even though it's actually active.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Xeratais167

billsey said: Hmm, what happens when you really load it down? Start a script that copies the same file from the drive over and over again, so it doesn't have to seek much. That should give a petty steady data load without any real pauses. Does it still disconnect? If not we may be looking at a glitch in the power handling, where it decides to turn the port off to save energy even though it's actually active.

billsey said:
    Hmm, what happens when you really load it down? Start a script that copies the same file from the drive over and over again, so it doesn't have to seek much. That should give a petty steady data load without any real pauses. Does it still disconnect? If not we may be looking at a glitch in the power handling, where it decides to turn the port off to save energy even though it's actually active.

That might be the issue as I have done that and it does indeed drop out in the middle of a file operation. File size was exactly 4kb and a simple txt document Had it set to overwrite the file in 1 second intervals and it dropped out. Windows says Surprise removal (as in it being unplugged) so I am quite confused. I remember at one time I found a old windows 8 driver for a different intel chipset and tweaked the .ini file and forced installed it and the issue was still there it just took longer. I have since reinstalled windows as I don't like running things in a test environment.

(I have no clue what is wrong with this site as I just tried posting a simple response but it keeps saying Body is 3 characters too short)

• Xeratais167
    I apologize for the whole quoting thing it would not let me post a response.
  • billsey
    No need to apologize, we've all had issues a time or two with the forum software, especially since they often do updates in the background while staying live. :)
    Surprise removal would tend to point toward hardware issues, likely associated with something corroded in the power lines on the USB, except that it's happening on multiple ports. Anything that tries to exceed the power budget could give the same symptoms though, each time the device tries to pull more than the 1500mA USB 3.0 supports it would potentially drop connection momentarily. If you back off to just one device plugged into one port does it still happen, does it then also happen with a different device on that port? How about with a low power device like a flash drive?
  • Xeratais167
    It happens weather it's only one device or multiple. Western Digital My Passport (WDBYFT0020BBK-0B) and a Mediasonic ProBox 8 bay enclosure (H82-SU3S2.)  the WD my passport is host powered but can't pull more than 500 mA (as it is fully backwards compatible with 2.0) and the probox has it's own internal power supply (Full sized 3.5 inch drives) both devices drop out weather only one is used or both. I can plug them into my other computer and laptop via 3.1 and they both work fine with no dropouts. As for other devices to test I have no other 3.0 or 3.1 capable devices. usb 2.0 and 1.1 are fully functional. Regardless which port is used (Front two or rear one) they will all show the same symptoms. all the (Black) ports work normally it is only on the (Blue) ports. Side note on my part as I totally forgot is that when installing windows from a image on either device it operates normally. I think it should work normally under Linux as well but I am not sure as I don't have a distro on hand to test it.
  • billsey
    I'm stumped... I can't think of anything that would be version specific and not down to one failing port.  :(
  • Xeratais167
    As am I. This machine was not used all too much before it was given to me to free up space. there is no physical damage on anything. I am thinking it is a windows issue but it very possibly could just be a fluke of the lot and be a faulty board. Aside from the original 3 Tb drive (think it was a toshiba drive) having the dreaded click of death and me having to reinstall windows I would definitely buy an acer again if needed.  any who Thanks for the help