Options
azk4
azk4 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,
I am hoping to charge my Acer Swift 5 model 

Acer Swift 5 Ultra-thin Touchscreen Laptop | SF514-54GT | Blue

NX.
Via USBC so I do not have to carry around  a both phone and laptop charger. 
What wattage output would I need to charge this laptop? I am going to buy a charger that can output a certain wattage eg. 45-65 W via Usb-C and up to 18W via USB - A. Eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YHPY4RL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cS0bFbTZNJN9F
Would a normal USB - C cable work with this or would I require any special one?

Thanks very much. 

Answers

• vbraks
    vbraks Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    based on the product you're going to buy
    45W on usb-c should be fine
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Your SF514-54GT uses a 65W charger (the 45W is for models that don't have the discrete graphics). The Thunderbolt port only supports charging at 15W, so you won't want to try and use it as your primary power source.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • azk4
    azk4 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi everyone 
    Thanks for your replies. 

@billsey - if I was to bring a 15W USB C charger would it be possible to charge the laptop at all, even if it was very slow?
    Also if I had not bought the Acer Swift 5 with the discrete graphics, would I have been able to support faster charge via the usbc port otherwise?
    Thank you 
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, you can charge it slowly when the system is off, and potentially maintain a charge while it's running. More likely if it's running it will just discharge slower with the USB-c charging going.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alexlee
    alexlee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am using an OEM 65w PD charger connected to thunderbolt 3 port, and apparently it is charging my Acer SF514-54GT as fast as the original charger that came in the box.

• billsey
    Options
    Yeah, it turns out some have the undocumented feature where charging is possible. The 15W reference I found is power provided by the port to charge other devices.