Why is my acer stuck on my desktop, being very very slow, and not opening anything at all?

ricevice
ricevice Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, about a week or two back I bought an acer nitro 5, about 4 days ago it got stuck on the "repairing disk errors, this might take over an hour" screen for literally 4 days, it just came back to life today. I opened it up and it starts just fine, but once I get to my desktop, I can't open anything, and it's extremely slow, and every time it seems like it's going to start a process, it just doesn't let me do anything except close it, what do I do?? My friend the disk errors screen is due to heat damage, and said my drive is fried probably, but how did it come back on?? I'm confused and I dropped 750 on this, I got it off Amazon and I can't refund it, please help!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    ricevice said:
    Hi, about a week or two back I bought an acer nitro 5, about 4 days ago it got stuck on the "repairing disk errors, this might take over an hour" screen for literally 4 days, it just came back to life today. I opened it up and it starts just fine, but once I get to my desktop, I can't open anything, and it's extremely slow, and every time it seems like it's going to start a process, it just doesn't let me do anything except close it, what do I do?? My friend the disk errors screen is due to heat damage, and said my drive is fried probably, but how did it come back on?? I'm confused and I dropped 750 on this, I got it off Amazon and I can't refund it, please help!

First, what is the exact model of your Nitro 5, it should be like AN515-xx or similar? Also, is your Nitro 5 using the M.2 NVMe ssd or SATA hdd? As a new laptop should not be doing and/or going to “repairing disk errors, this might take over an hour” there must be something wrong with either your ssd/hdd or the operating system.

Try to restore Win-10 to an earlier restore point:

1. Click Control Panel from the context menu > 

2. Click the System and Security > from the right pane of the System and Security window, click File History > 

3. From the bottom of the left pane of the File History window, click Recovery > 

4. Click Open System Recovery from the right pane of the Recovery window > 

5. On the initial page of the System Restore wizard, click Next > Click Next to continue > 

6. On the Confirm your restore point page, click Finish > On the warning box that appears click OK to confirm your action.

If you can’t do the above then you need to boot from the Win-10 installation usb media, if you have one? If you don’t have one, go here and make an installation usb (you need an 8GB min usb): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 > Create Windows 10 installation media > Download tool now

To boot to the Win-10 installation usb media, make sure that you change the "bios > boot" so that the usb is on first priority boot, then and once it boots from the Win-10 installation usb, on the blue screen, bottom left choose the following:

1. Click “Repair your computer” 

2. Troubleshoot > Advanced option > choose “System Restore” and restore your Win-10 to aprevious version and see if that fixes the problem>

If the above doesn’t work then look at the “command prompt” fix options here: “Fix windows 10 stuck on repairing disk errors” at: https://wintechlab.com/fix-windows-10-stuck-on-repairing-disk-errors/

Note: Also see if all the ‘Windows Updates” are up to date and that you have the last and latest version of Win-10 version 2004 OS build 19041.330. 

Note: do not open the laptop as this laptop is under warranty and for a new laptop to have a faulty ssd or hdd is very unusual, call your Acer Service centre and talk to them, as I’m sure that they will fix/repair your problem under warranty.