a315-41-r9rc battery draining while plugged in if the computer is underload

Maikol27
Maikol27 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Basically is the computer supposed to be losing battery while doing intesive apps? my charger should be the one that came with the laptop (19v 2.1A) any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, this is entirely normal when the CPU/GPU demands more power than either the charger or battery can provide alone. So the charger+battery must work together to meet the power demand. At those time, the battery is not charging but delivering power along with the charger to meet the high load demand. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, this is entirely normal when the CPU/GPU demands more power than either the charger or battery can provide alone. So the charger+battery must work together to meet the power demand. At those time, the battery is not charging but delivering power along with the charger to meet the high load demand. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    this statement is not true.
    i have an acer a315-41 and, while running furmark, although the socket power stays steadily at around 20w, the battery is charging. the battery is also charging while running cinebench20.  
    it is possible to have a defective charger.  
    there is my proof: 

as you can see, the gpu is more demanding than cpu. the charger manage to provide more energy while gpu is running at its full. 
  • JackE
    Anything's possible. But I think unlikely judging from the OPs description for the r9rc model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rich1974
    of course, there are laptops with two chargers, like an alienware, but it is much more powerfull than a a315-41. 
    the OP should make the tests like i did and see clearly what is going on. i do not think that, on such a laptop, the APU is configured in a way that the charger is overcame by power demand.  all a315-41 share the same apu, ryzen 2200u. 
  • Maikol27
    Maikol27 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

rich1974 said:
    of course, there are laptops with two chargers, like an alienware, but it is much more powerfull than a a315-41. 
    the OP should make the tests like i did and see clearly what is going on. i do not think that, on such a laptop, the APU is configured in a way that the charger is overcame by power demand.  all a315-41 share the same apu, ryzen 2200u. 
    Actually my a315-41 has the 2500u, also the sticker on the bottom says that the computers input is rated at 19v 2.37a but the charger that came with it is only 19v 2.1a could that cause the issue then?
  • rich1974
    okay, thanx for the input. my charger has 2.37A and 45 W. it is very likely to have an underpowered charger. 
    do the tests that i did and see for yourself.  in the case of battery drain, you should see a negative rate and a decrease of capacity value. 
    run the furmark (gpu stress) and cinebench20 (cpu stress).