Aspire 5 A515-54-52VX Slowing down immensly while charging

TPoE
TPoE Member Posts: 1 New User
edited July 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hey there,

I bought myself an Aspire 5 A515-54-52VX last year to replace my old laptop. Shortly after I got it, I noticed the large speed-drop whilst charging. The CPU normally clock to 4.2Ghz (I5 10210u) and only slows down on heavy loads. But when ever I plug in the charger it drops down to 1.0Ghz to even 0.4Ghz or 0.5Ghz and makes the Laptop unusable. Any power-saving features are off and the maximum power plan is enabled. I'm running a Windows 10 2004 Pro N 64 bit on it. Drivers all are Windows-Standard drivers.

Firstly I suspected a weak charger so I built a larger one. The original was a 2.6A one. My go-to is a 4.6A charger and for testing purposes I even went up to a PSU-monster capable of up to 23A at 19V but all to no avail. Heat is also not the matter. I heated it to 40°C and froze it rock solid but the Clock-rates didn't go up the slightest bit.

So after almost half a year of trying, I decide to write here since it has gotten quite difficult to charge the laptop between lessons so that it is usable when I need it.

I hope you guys can help me. Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Whba
    Whba Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem 
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 686 Moderator
    Whba said:
    I have the same problem 
    Hi, Please share your unit model name EX: AN515-XX-XX and explain the issue in detail. This would help us to check for a solution easily.
  • solvt
    solvt Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem with my Aspire A515-52. Slow when charging, runs perfectly with battery only. 
  • ajdlfksdfe
    ajdlfksdfe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Finally I see someone with a similar issue.

I have an Aspire a515-54 model N18Q13. 

When I use my laptop without a charger plugged in, it almost always runs at a reasonable clock speed given the task, and provides the best performance when needed. Typically no lag. 

When I have my charger plugged in when the battery has a percentage of approximately lower than 40%(it gets progressively worse with less initial charge), the performance can drop quite dramatically, and at times, become unusably laggy. I've also noticed that the clock speed will fluctuate dramatically, in constant intervals of every 10 seconds or so. Having a higher battery percentage decreases the severity of this issue (up to around 40-50% is where I notice any difference). This behavior occurred one day somewhat randomly nearly 6 months ago. This was while I was still using windows 10 (subsequent minor updates of windows 10 didn't make any noticeable difference.) 

When I updated to windows 11, general behaviour as mentioned above still exists, but the performance in general doesn't seem to take as big of a hit. I do notice that when a more intensive program was running, it lowers the clock speed in correlation with the intensity of the program, and leads to more lag. 

So, could this be an issue of the battery, battery management circuitry, OS software, or device drivers?

I hope this provides enough information for someone to come up with a solution.
  • bumbaka04
    bumbaka04 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey, I have the same issue in my laptop Acer Aspire A515-45, with Ryzen 5 5500u, I bought it in 2021.

It just runs slower, and lags a little only when charging and the battery is under 40% even when doing normal work, no heavy work. When using it without on battery power at any percentage it runs fine, and when charging with battery of more than 40% it runs fine.

Also it has a problem that it randomly shuts down like a crash without showing "shutting down" and then boots again, this happens regardless of battery percentage or if its charging or not. When this happens it shows critical event in event viewer with id 41, source: "kernel-power". Laptop sometimes overheats too even when doing normal work when charging.

I have clean installed windows 10 before and this issue was fixed, but after some time it occurred again (both issues), so I did system restore and issue was fixed, then i upgraded to windows 11 and issue occurred again, and now its not fixing, so I went back to windows 10 from recovery settings in windows 11. The issue is still present.

All my drivers are updated, I have also tried and downgraded the bios firmware version from 1.13 to 1.05 or 1.10 and it didn't help, I haven't found any solution yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• bumbaka04
    bumbaka04 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey @ajdlfksdfe , @solvt , @Whba , @TPoE

I have the same issue. Please help me if you found any solution.