Instructions for Updating BIOS in TMP645-MG

Homeopath
Homeopath Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I am in arrears in updating our Ultrabook and need to perform these updates promptly.  What key, or key(s), must be pressed to enter the BIOS?  I should review the current BIOS and determine its version number before proceeding with any of the software updates our laptop needs.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Assuming you are running Windows you don't need to actually get into the BIOS (which should be F2) to find the version. Hit the Windows key and type in 'system' then choose System Information. The BIOS Version/Date field give you the info.
    Remember a BIOS update can be a bit risky... We typically don't suggest an update unless you are experiencing one of the issues addressed with the update.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you model originally shipped with Windows 8 with an option to be downgraded to Windows 7. Windows 8 requires a UEFI BIOS...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Assuming you are running Windows you don't need to actually get into the BIOS (which should be F2) to find the version. Hit the Windows key and type in 'system' then choose System Information. The BIOS Version/Date field give you the info.
    Remember a BIOS update can be a bit risky... We typically don't suggest an update unless you are experiencing one of the issues addressed with the update.
  • Homeopath
    billsey - Thanks for this.  I need to know if the BIOS, drivers, etc. are current.  I have seen Acer Updater run but only briefly.  I am replacing the SSD and need to ensure our TMP645-MG is updated properly beforehand.
  • Homeopath
    The BIOS is dated and should be updated.  I am currently running v2.03.  I must also cross reference updates for drivers and firmware to ensure these are current before upgrading the SSD.  Are flashing instruction included with the update?
  • billsey
    It looks like the latest BIOS is 2.14. Instructions are included in the zip file. Just make sure you have nothing else runnning in the foreground when you launch the bat file.
  • Homeopath
    Yes.  I continued searching here and found a reference for updating the BIOS on YouTube so I copied this url into a reference document.  Acer has made this an extremely easy process.  Are you able to confirm that this is UEFI?  It must be but when I examined it for myself I was amazed at how basic it looks.  I will be using Clonezilla LiveUSB to image a new SSD and preparing the USB correctly requires knowledge of the type of booting involved.  The UEFI standard was in place long before this so I am assuming the TMP645-MG is a UEFI machine.
  • You should follow these recommendations:
    a) charge the battery to 100%
    b) disconnect the peripherals from the USB ports;
    c) do not disconnect the power adapter;
    d) disable windows defender and uninstall norton, avast or any other manufacturer's antivirus.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you model originally shipped with Windows 8 with an option to be downgraded to Windows 7. Windows 8 requires a UEFI BIOS...
  • Homeopath
    billsey - Thanks for the confirmation.  I chose to set the laptop up with Windows 7 at the time we received it.

egydiocoelho - Yes, I recall most of this except for disabling the antivirus.  In fact, I do not think this point was verbally referred to in the YouTube video I watched.  No
  • It is only a recommendation. You don't want a program to interfere with the bios update, right?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)