USB C output not displaying on extended HDMI monitor

HenryDozie
HenryDozie Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an ACER Aspire 5 running ubuntu 20.04. When I connect my display link device for extended monitors to the usb c port, the USB ports on on the device works but the HDMI ports do not work. I have installed all needed drivers for the display link and I have tested it on my other computers and they work just fine. Also, the USB C port seems not to output video signals at all. Can anyone help me with this?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The a515-54 model's USB 3.1 port does not support external video display:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Can you provide the exact model of the laptop? Example an515-51-75kz.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HenryDozie

Tinkerer

Hi @egydiocoelho, this is the model number: A515-54-5649
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The a515-54 model's USB 3.1 port does not support external video display:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• HenryDozie

Tinkerer

Thanks @egydiocoelho. What device will give me proper extension to 3 monitors?
  • muk199
    muk199 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I would also like to know, thanks!
  • I would opt for a dock that has a power adapter. have you checked the dock dell 6000?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• HenryDozie

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho, I will check it out
  • muk199

Tinkerer

I bought this, its like a external video card and you need to install drivers. I will have it in 5 days and I can share my experience here. (this was recommended by other people with our same computer, in this forum and others).

I did a lot of research. There are very expensive ones and some more simpler, it seems the expensive ones are not worth it because all of them are external and dont work for gaming for example because of their response times and other similar issues.

If you just need it for work (like I do), this is probably enough. Will post an update in some days.
  • muk199

Tinkerer

Updated other post with how it worked, you can read it there  ;)
  • HenryDozie

Tinkerer

@muk199, how did it work?