Are the Aspire X series computers made to network?

TheLost1
TheLost1 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello,  I am 100% convinced that thes Aspire X   / AXC-603G computers are not made to connect with other computers. I have everything in Windows 10 set to share. Everything. I have tried different ISPs, I have tried so much and this computer will not under any circumstance allow itself to be found on the network.  The other computers made by another manufacturer do absolutely fine. This Acer computer will not connect, it just won't and I really don't think I can be sold on that it does.  All the other computers run windows 10 except for 1 which still runs good old fashioned windows xp, it is not the Acer computer.  All the other computers are of another brand.  This computer is NOT capable of connecting to other computers or being found on a network. Sure you can ping it but nothing shows up in windows 10 for it anywhere in the network . If it does you can not access it though EVERYTHING is set for it to do so, it won't.  Microsoft themselves couldn't even figure this one out because I called them and allowed them in this computer. I am convinced that if they can't fix it, no one can.  Is this machine really this worthless? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Are the other computers running Windows Home or Windows Pro? Windows Home has a bunch of networking stuff disabled...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TheLost1
    They are running windows home.  What networking stuff needs to be turned on?  I turned on SMB and anything else I can think of. 
  • billsey
    They used to allow Homegroup sharing in W10, but now days they've removed that. If you want to share files with a nearby device, note that "Nearby sharing" needs to be enabled on the local and destination computer to work correctly. They both also need to have Network Discovery turned on. You might also have to set permissions on any shared folders to either allow everyone access or just specific users. Note that if you are using local accounts to login on each computer each account is unique, even if they use the same credentials. So User@laptop and User@Desktop are different.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TheLost1
    Everything that needs to be enabled is enabled.  This is a small desktop.  Everything that is supposed to be on is on.   Microsoft and my 3rd party IT can not figure it out and you would think Microsoft would know their product right? 
  • TheLost1
    Is there supposed to be any kind of hardware that would enable this to work?  Do I need to get a hardware device that can make this network work?  Because right now there isn't anything "internal" that can do it.  Did a fresh operating system install, still does not do it. No one knows why. All drivers have been installed. Everything has needed to be set to do networking has been set.  I'm rally starting to lose more confidence in this machine everyday it chooses not to work. Please tell me why the other branded computers seem to work just fine and this one can't? 
  • billsey
    OK, let's look at the rest of your environment. Are you connecting via wireless or wired? Does the router have a guest network configured on it? Are you using IP addresses to find the other machines or machine names?
  • TheLost1
    I have tried 2 different ISP's Atlantic Broadband (Cable)  and Verizon  FIOS . These computers  are connected via an Ethernet connection (wired) The computer will find the ip addresses if I ping it in DOS,  but windows will not recognize it.  The Acer computer is just blind.  Guest networks are not configured.  I'm trying the same computer in 2 different locations and still produce the same result. I've wiped the operating system clean and installed a new fresh install of the operating system on the Acer computer  numerous times it always does the same thing.   It has to be the hardware at this point.  No matter what you do, this computer is not able to locate any other computer on this network in windows.  Everything has been set  to work, been over it and over it for the last 6 months. I am convinced that this machine is not capable of the job the job and am considering replacing the unit as it's apparently defective. The computer does everything else fine but it can not network. I just didn't want to spend the money but I'm afraid I'm going to have to. I am not going to be back with this brand as I do not believe it is up to the job. 
  • Is there any antivirus that may be blocking with the firewall or something? Have you checked this "enable network discovery" function?
    How to Enable Network Discovery and Configure Sharing Options in
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheLost1
    All that was set correctly and reviewed with my paid technical support.  They said that their tech experts couldn't even fix it and I am paying them!   I am going to try to see what happens if I get a PCIE nic card to put in the machine instead of use the onboard one that won't work.  They told me to take it to Microsoft.  I have done that and have them stumped and it's their product! 
  • OK! Now, do you have any antivirus that may be blocking windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheLost1
    Everything from the anti-virus to the firewalls are completely off. 
  • Try disabling some services and programs to see if any programs or services are interfering with your home network. To do this, press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to services, hide microsoft services and disable all. Then restart windows.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Check your DNS settings. If the computer is trying to reach a local name, but the DNS is routed to the internet, it won't find the computer.
  • TheLost1
    It was on DHCP .  I wiped the DNS ipconfig/flushdns     then rebooted.   At this point I wiped the whole hard drive down to raw and reloaded it. 
  • billsey
    Which router do you have? What happens when you use a command prompt and try something like "nslookup machinename" for another machine on the network? Same question if you ping the machine name rather than the IP address?
  • TheLost1
    AT home I have a net gear nighthawk. Where I am now I have no idea it's some router provided by Verizon.  My ISP at home is Atlantic Broadband. I'm at my mom's where it's Verizon
  • billsey
    Try the nslookup and pings...
  • TheLost1
    It pings fine but Windows can't find it.  I did manage to get it to come up on another computer but as soon as it rebooted it forgot it entirely.  I have totally wiped the operating system, zero filled the hard drive that it was in an effort to get it to work, it still won't work.  The computers of the other brand respond as they should to the the computers of that brand.  All the other computers are that brand.  I'll be shutting this Acer computer down as there is no hope for it. I've tried and tried and tried and I lost confidence in this computer. My paid IT can't fix it, Microsoft can't fix it. Acer won't fix it.  Leaves me to believe it's toast, so it has been replaced as of this upcoming Wednesday with another unit of the other brand.  I'm pulling the hard drive out this going to wipe it again and use it for a storage drive this time.   My belief is that the ball was dropped somewhere  when I reached out for help.   We all tried and I appreciate it. Thank you 
  • billsey
    Without testing using nslookup I can't tell if it's a DNS problem, which would break access to machines using the machinename. Trying to use an IP address in Windows would break because there's no authentication that's not tied to the machinename. It's also possible that the port has been zapped and is dropping data due to corruption. That's not really uncommon if the system has been near thunderstorms in the past, just like we used to see with modems and phone lines.