Acer E5-511P-P8BA RAM Issues

Options
E15511PGuy
E15511PGuy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello 

We bought a laptop couple years ago it and started slowing down moving around within Windows 10
Specs are:
1TB harddrive
8GB PC3L DDR3L 1600 12800 2Rx8 1.35v kingston memory factory installed 
Touchscreen

I was trying to upgrade my ram awhile back to 16GB even 12GB i would settle with, i know now after the fact and more research the laptop only supports 8GB RAM
so.....while doing the upgrade i somehow brunt out the motherboard no power at all tried this and that,...... long story short i bought a replacement of exactly the same board date of manufacturer and all chip for chip they are identical. I purchased a set of A-TECH 16GB PC3L DDR3L 1600 12800 1.35v (sesame chip name) RAM modules 8GB per module now this new replacement board wont take any single 8Gb chip i put in it goes to "kernel security check failure" BSOD or "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL", i tested the RAM modules in a HP laptop and both run fine with hours of use in and out of sleep those chips are fine ran memtest in that laptop with those modules one at a time no issues, so then i bought another set from Amazon 16GB DDR3L 1600 12800 1.35v this time TIMETECH was the name they have a compatibility chart and it shows ACER E5 511P on the chart i know i showed contact them and all yet those modules work in the hp laptop as well HP laptop has the same spec requirments for ram as the ACER laptop also the ACER laptop runs fine in bios 16GB and 8GB both setups are recognized not sure what else to do here i know i should of grabbed RAm from Crucial or other big names but common why is this ACER so fussy with RAM,  BIOS is all up to date, this also happens when trying to reinstall windows same BSOD screens. so now im sitting on 2 sets of 16GB DDR3L 1600 12800 1.35V memory

The only module i can get to work in here now is a 4GB PC3 1600 12800 

Somebody please help a guy out ive done a lot of research just cant get a single 8GB chip compatible with windows

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There were at least four different motherboards shipped with this model. The service guide is a bit unclear as to what the differences are between them but certainly some would use DDR3 and some DDR3L memory. Those are different voltages so require different chipset configuration. Any of those MBs should support 16GB memory in two 8GB SO-DIMMs. I believe these MBs all use 1.5V memory by default, not the 1.35V you have. Both of the ones you have are actually DDR3L, since they are both at 1.35V and regular DDR3 is 1.50V. So, if you got lucky with the MB you bought it would support DDR3L, if not you need DDR3 instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • E15511PGuy
    Options
     the picture with the red spacers is the new motherboard
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you check with the cpuz program, what type of ram your motherboard is using? W
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • E15511PGuy
    Options
    Yes I will check that