Impact of Acer Nitro 5 dual boot with ubuntu on performance

Meia
Meia Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I have recently purchased a Nitro 5  ( AN517-51-7204 ) and wanted to setup a dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04 . Of course, my first try failed, so I researched the issue and found several how-tos on this forum and elsewhere. But I was wondering about the impact of all these changes (RST to AHCI, disabling Octane and Windows fast boot...) to the performances of the machine.
To the people who already installed a dual boot with linux, did you notice a real difference in your performances in gaming and overall system speed?
I also have another HDD, could I install linux on it without going through all of this?
Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    RST and Optane are just marketing and are causing more issues than value. You wil not notice anything by disabling this piece of "Performance booster" lol. You can install on the HDD but you still need to disable RST.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You would only notice a difference in performance if there were two 2280 m2 ssds in raid. Since there is only a single ssd installed, the difference between rst with optane and ahci is minimal. To change satamode to ahci, access windows and then uninstall programs from optane memory and intel rapid storage. Also press windows + r and type msconfig, and activate safeboot. Then, go to the bios, access the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• batmalin
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    RST and Optane are just marketing and are causing more issues than value. You wil not notice anything by disabling this piece of "Performance booster" lol. You can install on the HDD but you still need to disable RST.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You would only notice a difference in performance if there were two 2280 m2 ssds in raid. Since there is only a single ssd installed, the difference between rst with optane and ahci is minimal. To change satamode to ahci, access windows and then uninstall programs from optane memory and intel rapid storage. Also press windows + r and type msconfig, and activate safeboot. Then, go to the bios, access the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Meia
    Thank you very much for your input, Batmalin and EgydioCoelho!
  • batmalin
    You are welcome!

• you are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Meia
    Hey guys, I successfully installed Ubuntu thanks to your insights in other topics.
    For future reference, for me and whomever it can help, the steps were:
    - disabling fast startup in power options
    - enabling safe boot in msconfig
    - rebooting and not shutting down
    - entering the bios, ctrl + s, switching from rst + optane to ahci
    - installing ubuntu as usual (partition the disk with gparted on live usb, then choosing "install next to windows")
    I made a usb recovery stick for windows, didn't need it, windows loaded normally after the first safe boot.
    Thanks a lot!
  • batmalin
    You are welcome!