Acer Spin 11 CP311 1HN Write Protection

slugman
slugman Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
i can't find a write protection screw. is there one? where would it be located? if not how else do i disable wp?

Best Answer

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    I don't believe the CP311-1HN models have a write protection screw. Most newer Chromebooks use software write protection instead. What are you doing that requires rewriting the BIOS?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • slugman

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I don't believe the CP311-1HN models have a write protection screw. Most newer Chromebooks use software write protection instead. What are you doing that requires rewriting the BIOS?
    actually it turns out there are 3 ways to remove wp by screw, switch or by removing the battery once I did that it worked so I solved the issue.
  • slugman

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    What are you doing that requires rewriting the BIOS?
    I wanted to be able to boot into a USB waswhile keeping chromeOS on the hard drive which I was successful
  • slugman

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    this link is where I read about the ways to remove wp

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/firmware-porting-guide/firmware-ec-write-protection

And this is where I got the script and direction to use seabios to be able to boot to USB