Is there any way to disable discrete graphics from BIOS ?

GajalShankar
GajalShankar Member Posts: 109 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
As I want to dual boot Chrome OS with Ubuntu 20.04 from my laptop but it seems
nouveau.modeset=0<br>
is not shifting it to intel's onboard graphics. Is there any BIOS way?
Btw Nvidia GPU perfectly working in Ubuntu 20.04
Please help

Answers

• Is your model the p259-g2-m? In addition, there is a program for the nvidia video card on ubuntu, which allows you to change to the intel video card
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GajalShankar
    I have model P259-G2-MG, which problem are you referring to, what if I deleted Nvidia drivers then it will not able to use it ✔and I want to know for other OSes can't I simply disable GPU as we are allowed to do in case of Desktop ??
  • Have you installed the nvidia driver on ubuntu? There is a program from nvidia for linux, which allows you to enable the intel video card.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GajalShankar
    Yes I did install and I checked resource consumption using below command 
    nvidia-smi
    and I found It's perfectly working running on GPU Even I played CSGO on steam.As you said

There is a program from Nvidia for Linux, which allows you to enable the intel video card. But I don't know how to switch since Optimus switchable thing is no longer supported and to make programs use intel onboard graphics we need to disable hardware-acceleration for that App but how to do that natively for the whole OS 

Let's say in dual boot configuration If someone wants to use GPU on windows but not on Ubuntu ? .How can we do as in case of desktop we can simply disable GPU using BIOS. quite easy :)

:anguished: As Chrome OS does support only Intel CPUs how do I ensure it is using Intel ones, not GPU. How to achieve that same thing instead of doing at runtime(for some programs)?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    I am not a Linux expert, but have you tried using the nouveau.modeset=0 command?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GajalShankar
    yes I did,but not working
  • I think colleague @batmalin can help you.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Please clarify: So you have Ubuntu and Chrome OS what do you want to achieve giving the fact that you can`t disable the dGPU in BIOS? Just make it simple, example:
    I want Ubuntu to boot with NVIDIA driver enabled and Chrome OS with the driver disabled...
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• GajalShankar
    I want to boot Chrome OS such that it uses integrated graphics that's it. :) 
  • batmalin
    If the Chrome OS boots it already uses the iGPU and not the dGPU as at the moment it doesn't support dGPU acceleration, so I really don't understand what is the issue

• batmalin
    Look here if you want to switch graphics in Linux. by default Linux is using the integrated Intel one.

• GajalShankar
    Actually, It's showing black screen after booting chrome OS (no text not even reached to startup screen), but the same installed image I wrote into a USB drive using Rufus and then it's working correctly and I can simply use my Chrome OS using a USB drive. But I checked on subreddit chromeosfans there I found it was due to discrete GPU not supported by Chrome OS.
    That's the main issue.

I followed this guide
    https://github.com/sebanc/brunch
  • GajalShankar
    batmalin said:
    Look here if you want to switch graphics in Linux. by default Linux is using the integrated Intel one.

As the guide says default will be intel one,
    can you help me what can be the problem?
  • batmalin
    Well somehow you have to tell the Chrome OS kernel to boot with the iGPU but I am not familiar with the Chrome OS and don't know if this is possible like in Linux by just adding a boot option or not. Just a side question why the heck you need this "OS" at all?

• GajalShankar
     Yes, that is possible, and I tried, please check previous comments 
    but I'm not getting why that is not required in the case for the USB drive? 🤔

• batmalin
    Just saw the ridiculous HDD partitioning and boot process LINK and have ripped my T-Shirt off. You can read and look where are the kernel boot parameters to be set in internet, I can`t deal with this misunderstanding.  Sorry and good luck

• GajalShankar
    Thank you for help. I will let you know if the issue gets resolved.
  • batmalin
    edited July 2020
    If you can set in GRUB "nomodeset" option to the ChrOS  kernel, then try it and let me know if that helps

• GajalShankar
    I already tried
    nodemodeset
    also nvidia-drm.modeset=0
    also nouveau.modeset=0
  • batmalin
    Try i915.modeset=1