next@acer 2020

dock USB on Swift 3

Hello, I have a SF315-41-R284, and bought a dock usb-c, only to find out that usb-c to hdmi is supported only on intel cpu (because thunderbolt is Intel). So I was asking if a usb-a to hdmi works on my notebook, so to move on a dock usb 3.0

Best Answer

• billseybillsey Posts: 10,879 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    The SF315-41 specs say it's a USB-C Gen 1 port, not Thunderbolt. Gen 1 ports do not have video in them, so the dock has to provide video internally. You do have an HDMI port though, so you could drive the second monitor off that. If you really need HDMI off a dock then just purchase a dock that has that function. They make those types of docks with either USB-A or USB-C.
    Most USB-C Gen 2 video support is DP, not HDMI...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

FAQ & Answers

• billseybillsey ACE Posts: 10,879 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    The SF315-41 specs say it's a USB-C Gen 1 port, not Thunderbolt. Gen 1 ports do not have video in them, so the dock has to provide video internally. You do have an HDMI port though, so you could drive the second monitor off that. If you really need HDMI off a dock then just purchase a dock that has that function. They make those types of docks with either USB-A or USB-C.
    Most USB-C Gen 2 video support is DP, not HDMI...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • APerriconeAPerricone Member Posts: 7 New User
    but there is not a simple way to identify if a dock support Gen 1 without thunderbold or not, is it? 
  • billseybillsey ACE Posts: 10,879 Trailblazer
    So a search of USB Gen 1 Dock gives lots of options. The key is that you don't want to get a Gen 2 dock, just the Gen 1.