Does my A515-51G-84SN support two external monitors in Extend mode?

AdinaA
AdinaA Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Is there any configuration that works to extend my desktop to TWO external monitors (1080p)? I tried some cheap docking stations with the USB-C port, but I learned that the USB-C port does not support video on this model. The HDMI port is clearly good for one monitor. But do any of the other ports work for a monitor using an adapter (to HDMI) or for a docking station that would support video? (Or should I just return the second monitor I bought?)

My techie friend tells me to ask specifically: Is there an external graphics display, and/or is the video card embedded or discrete?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry. The HDMI port is the only video out port in this model. The USBC port is a data port only does not support displayport video output. You can run multiple monitors from the HDMI port with an HDMI hub but not independently.

Your model does indeed have another discrete graphics adapter in addtiion to the intel integrated graphics but it does not have another dedicated external output port of its own.

You however can add a separate external m.2 graphic adapter with its own output port but it's usually installed in the mainboard's wifi m.2 socket so you would have to use a wired ethernet connection to a router.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Sorry. The HDMI port is the only video out port in this model. The USBC port is a data port only does not support displayport video output. You can run multiple monitors from the HDMI port with an HDMI hub but not independently.

Your model does indeed have another discrete graphics adapter in addtiion to the intel integrated graphics but it does not have another dedicated external output port of its own.

You however can add a separate external m.2 graphic adapter with its own output port but it's usually installed in the mainboard's wifi m.2 socket so you would have to use a wired ethernet connection to a router.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• AdinaA

Tinkerer

Thanks for the great response. It sounds like there is no way to extend to 2 external monitors... Unless, perhaps there is a docking station specifically designed for the Aspire 5 line. Is there such a thing? Thanks!
  • JackE

I noticed that their CDW's chatline is fairly active today, so you might want to see if they can find you something with your USB port limitations perhaps not by ACER though. I suppose you could also try to rattle somebody's cage at the ACER chatline link here https://store.acer.com/en-us/ They're supposed to be available till 6 today or 5-CST. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AdinaA

Tinkerer

I did a chat with Acer, and he suggested this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPEV1XK/
    Ordered, and I will try to remember to follow up on whether this was the solution, in case this thread helps anyone in the future. Thanks again, Jack!
  • JackE
    Without USB video signal out capabiliity on your machine, this seems like it must use software to convert the graphic adapter video signal output to a data stream output the USBC port can handle.  Then back again through the adapter to video signal out to the monitor. Two conversions on a 5Gbps USBC port might yield a video quality and refresh rate on the external monitor that might be ????.  :) Please report back with results. It should be interesting. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• AdinaA

Tinkerer

I was concerned about something along those lines being an issue. But my fingers are crossed. Will report back!
  • AdinaA

Tinkerer

IT WORKED!!! Total plug-and-play. I didn't even have to download drivers. Instant success!!!
  • JackE
    edited July 2020
    Congrats. That's good news for sure. Sounds like it's all done with firmware inside the box. Nice. Jack E/NJ
    PS: Did you also need to use a USBA to USBC port adapter?

Jack E/NJ

• Second2None
    Second2None Member Posts: 1 New User
    Keep this thread pinned! this totally helped me out! thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.