Aspire AXC-704 - DIMM slot2 add ram POST/BIOS won't Boot

HazeTM
HazeTM Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

BIOS: R01-A4 v.2.17.1249
SMBIOS v2.8
PC: Acer AXC-704

RE-opening this topic as it's UNSOLVED (though marked solved).

As the original poster, I'm having the EXACT same issue. Word for Word.  Older topic but relevant today because.....
As the original poster, My RAM specs/speed ARE an EXACT match. (Not posting them, I know they match) I research on all things tech, before purchases.  I've worked with software/hardware for over 17 years, over several days this one stumps me.(I will refer to DIMM slots as RAM slot)
Note: Windows 10 DOES show 2 RAM slots available.  POST and BIOS must be blocking it.

ISSUE #1:
Tested. Any RAM in slot#1 works. System boots fine.
Tested. Any RAM in slot#2 does not work, system will not boot POST or BIOS.  Only Fan runs, nothing else.
Finally I did a CMOS reset (jumper and battery).
Did not work.  BIOS options are very basic now.

I Read to activate RAM in slot#2:
Go to BIOS, then select Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". As Acer disables it by default.  
But, because of the CMOS reset, I now have an Issue#2.

ISSUE #2:
BIOS options:  Several months before this, I COULD access "advanced" options, to change various integrated graphics options. After CMOS reset all the options are no longer present and I am unable to enable them (See Images). 

Things I have tried to regain my BIOS options:
- All Ctrl+ keys, Fn+Tab 3x, F9/F10 (mentioned online).
- BIOS Passwords. User/Admin. On/off. System/Setup (mentioned online).

Conclusion:
- I need to RE-gain access to see BIOS Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". (I HAVE had access to this before!).
After CMOS reset, my BIOS options are very basic (see images).

Q.1 - As I cannot upgrade my R01-A4, should I re-flash?  
Q.2 - Why does Acer product report have BIOS versions NOT for my system (R01.B series)?
Q.3 - (See Image)  I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper!
Q.4 - If I got a MOD BIOS or wrong BIOS version, would COMOS reset it back to original R01-A4?

Thanks in advance.  I miss the old Tech days, plug and play.  As many, I'd rather not flash the BIOS.   

Current BIOS options:

Secure Boot and Boot Order:

Advanced Menu: (I used to have MANY more advanced options):

Advanced options: Very BASIC now.  User/Admin login has no effect.

Windows detects there IS two RAM Slots available:

I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper! 
MOBO RAM area:

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    1) I don't think it's necessary to flash the bios again. When you reset the CMOS jumper, before, did you disconnect all peripherals such as RAM, video card, HDD and only then put the jumper in position 2-3?
    2) Why it should be a bios version for a motherboard with a different revision.
    3) It's the TXE jumper!
    4) I'm not sure. But I think that resetting the CMOS is not able to eliminate some advanced functions. At least, in notebooks this does not happen, when the user installs a modified bios. Now, when you create a password in the changesupervisorpassword and disable secureboot, do the advanced options appear again?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HazeTM
    HazeTM Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

ORIGINAL POSTER:  SOLVED - Tested
    I have used ONE 8GB RAM stick in ONE slot and everything has been tested constantly during this and worked fine to this day. (Although I would prefer using 2 4GB)
    People need to know, in computers, the Motherboard doesn't decipher or care how many RAM slots there are.  As long as you don't exceed the MAX RAM your Motherboard (mobo) can handle.

It is in fact, a manufacturing issue with this model of PC, as I tested the RAM combinations on 4 other PCs.  They all worked Fine.  
    I also managed to test this on two of the same ACER models, as in this thread...they BOTH failed failed to reconize the "dual RAM".

So there you have it folks. Just use 1 8GB Ram stick in ONE slot. It's a Acer manufacturing issue.  Not worth having it "repaired"

As in many forums, you will find those that copy paste replies or service manuals and consider this an answer.  Ignore them.
  • ZENBENZINE
    ZENBENZINE Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi. I have the same issue. But... My PC already has a 8 g and I want to install a 16g. I know the motherboard accept max 32, but am not sure if I can do it in the used slot. The second seems no to accept any. Thanks in advance