next@acer 2020

Laptop Keyboard Aspire A315-41 not functioning normally

NirajNNirajN Member Posts: 4 New User
Purchased Acer Aspire A315-41 2 weeks back. Usage of 4 hours a day. Single hand user. However Keyboard started giving problems now since 4 days. Power button doesn't function. Laptop powers ON using all other keys except power button. Funny thing is any key on this universal world class keyboard has to be continuosly kept pressed to keep Laptop alive else Laptop shuts off. Lazy Laptop, isn't it !! No Refund Policy. Worst ever product on earth I have come across till date. Pathetic after sales service. Authorised centres don't pick up calls. Acer team doesn't seem to bother about reviewing their products as well as Authorised service centre services. Seems 'QC' (Quality Checked) for them has a different meaning : probably 'Qualified Cheaters' . Hope Acer team has some basic courtesy to call up customers and give confidence on providing resolution or refund looted money by selling cheap quality products. Hope to receive resolution to this common Acer Laptop problem I am facing with regards to Laptop purchased. If not please refund my money.

FAQ & Answers

• egydiocoelhoegydiocoelho ACE Posts: 53,902 Trailblazer
    Is your notebook still under warranty?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • aphanicaphanic Member Posts: 250 Practitioner
    Whoa there! Your post started alright, explaining the problem and then derailed towards a comment on unfortunate adventures with different support teams!

Even if the seller has a non-refund policy, which is fine I guess, they can't refuse repairs under warranty. Depending on your part of the world they may be for a year, two, or something else altogether; but it has to be covered under it for sure. Even if it were a second hand product, it failed after 2 weeks!

Aaaaanyway, regarding fixing it, do you feel comfortable regarding opening the thing? Aside from disassembling it entirely (I think they keyboard in those was part of the palmrest or something), you could try unplugging and plugging again the ribbon cable that connects the motherboard to the keyboard and hope for the best.

There are guides through the net and probably also video guides at YouTube on how to disassemble the laptop or replacing RAM or something that could be of help. The connector is usually set near the battery, by the bottom part of the motherboard.

Either way, if you find it risky, or you think it might affect the terms of your warranty, don't risk it and have Acer check it out.
  • NirajNNirajN Member Posts: 4 New User
    Yes it is under warranty. Purchased 2 weeks back for my kid to attend online classes since school is not operational due to covid situation. Even if I have to unplug ribbon cable and plug it back it will void the warranty if  seal is broken.
    Does the same problem occur when resetting the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
    Yes I did try to reset the internal battery as suggested in video, however it seems keyboard is shorting the power. As a workaround I have to fix a paper on num lock key to keep it in pressed position so that notebook doesn't turn off. But this is not something acceptable on a brand new Laptop. I am using HP notebook since past 9 yrs, but never faced such issue of keypad. I assume and hope to be hardware issue and not related to BIOS. I wonder how technical team doesn't notice such flaw registered very frequently. 
  • aphanicaphanic Member Posts: 250 Practitioner
    I also hope it's something that doesn't usually happen, but there's no way to know the amount of faults per product. I understand any component can fail, but it's frustrating for this to happen to a new unit.

You should ask Acer to service the laptop, it's brand new and it has a hardware fault, they need to make sure everything works before letting it go out of the shop.
    edited June 30
    I agree with colleague @aphanic. Every day there are reports of keyboard failures, mainly in the models a515-51 and a315-41, which are lowcost models and I myself mentioned this keyboard problem myself. Now, this problem is not common in other models. Now, you can also check if it may just be a bad connection on the keyboard connector.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

I agree with comments from egydiocoelho. If a product fails frequently due to same fault how will Acer or any other OEM's act to gain customer confidence? @aphanic my introductory complaint was out of this frustration on "QC" definition. I did go through reviews on platforms selling Acer Laptops before the purchase and had to take risky call due to the lucrative offer positioned. Having said that I believe every product comes with a QC tag assuring customer that it is verified thoroughly. However I did not find that tag on the Laptop I received. My question to Acer Management is how do you assure quality of your products sold? I have paid full amount in advance and if Authorised partners are not able to service my problem raised within provided terms and conditions than you are faultering your sale as well as after sales service. If due to current pandemic you are not able to service customers to address such problems than why are you selling the product is my question to Acer Management?