[Acer Swift 3 SF314-42] Usb Type-C functionality

vabbefra
vabbefra Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello.
I own this nice laptop, and i'm planning to buy an external monitor.
I'd like to reduce cable, so i'm wondering if the type-c of my lapot can send video signal and at the same time be charged by the monitor.

I'n particular i'm thinking about this monitor: Dell P2419HC, that is supposed to have type-c power delivery
https://www.dellemc.com/resources/en-us/asset/data-sheets/products/electronics-accessories/Dell_24_USBC_Monitor_P2419HC_Data_Sheet.pdf

Do you think it will work?

thank you!

Answers

• Your model has a second generation USB 3.1 port, which supports display port, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer
    It is worth noting that the USB-C port can be used to charge other devices, but that laptop doesn't charge through the USB-C port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vabbefra
    vabbefra Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    It is worth noting that the USB-C port can be used to charge other devices, but that laptop doesn't charge through the USB-C port.
    Are you sure? You tested it?

Because there is the power symbol also beside the type-c port

Actually in this review the tested and it works

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3541328/acer-swift-3-review-ryzen-4000-delivers-insane-performance-for-the-price.amp.html
  • billsey
    If you look at the images egydiocoelho posted you will see it says it's provides power though that port (Delivers up to 3.25A at 20V for device charging) but says nothing about charging the laptop through the USB-C port. So Acer is not saying it works, you'd have to test it yourself to see...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    billsey said:
    If you look at the images egydiocoelho posted you will see it says it's provides power though that port (Delivers up to 3.25A at 20V for device charging) but says nothing about charging the laptop through the USB-C port. So Acer is not saying it works, you'd have to test it yourself to see...

I do use to charge this laptop through USB-C port.
  • ComputerBuzzed
    ComputerBuzzed Member Posts: 4 New User
    billsey said:

Thank you for the review! My laptop hasn’t been charging lately and I’ve been searching the web up and down to find out if my laptop was compatible. My phone broke recently so this is my only form of communication with my professors ❤️
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited April 2022
    billsey said:

Thank you for the review! My laptop hasn’t been charging lately and I’ve been searching the web up and down to find out if my laptop was compatible. My phone broke recently so this is my only form of communication with my professors ❤️

I have to mention, that you do need at least 65W or more to charge it through USB-C port. Not all of the phone chargers has that power. ;)
  • billsey
    Heheh, I'd even go as far as to say "most phone chargers don't have that much power" ;)