To which graphics card upgrade?

hassi111
hassi111 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I have a predator g3 710 which has a 1060 and i want to upgrade but idk to which one

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    So, which 7th gen processor, i3, i5, i7? 11.9GB is actually 12GB, so an 8GB and a 4GB module or three 4GB modules. Do you have a HDD or a SSD or both? If you have a HDD I'd upgrade to put a SSD in before anything else. Next I'd get the memory evened up, so there is an even number of modules with identical pairs, 4GB+4GB+4GB+4GB or 8GB+8GB at a minimum, that gets you the dual channel. Then I'd look at the GPU. The RTX 1660 Super or the RTX 2060 Super would both be good choices. If you have the cash you could do the 2080 Super at the top end... Measure to make sure the card you pick can fit without bumping into the drive tray and double check that your PSU is big enough to power the extra wattage the card needs. I'd only look at CPU upgrades if you are currently running an i3.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    It really depends on your pocketbook... What are the other specs on your G3-710? 6th gen or 7th gen? Memory? Drives?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hassi111
    billsey said:
    It really depends on your pocketbook... What are the other specs on your G3-710? 6th gen or 7th gen? Memory? Drives?
    it is a 7th gen, 119gb and the other are version 446.14
  • billsey
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    So, which 7th gen processor, i3, i5, i7? 11.9GB is actually 12GB, so an 8GB and a 4GB module or three 4GB modules. Do you have a HDD or a SSD or both? If you have a HDD I'd upgrade to put a SSD in before anything else. Next I'd get the memory evened up, so there is an even number of modules with identical pairs, 4GB+4GB+4GB+4GB or 8GB+8GB at a minimum, that gets you the dual channel. Then I'd look at the GPU. The RTX 1660 Super or the RTX 2060 Super would both be good choices. If you have the cash you could do the 2080 Super at the top end... Measure to make sure the card you pick can fit without bumping into the drive tray and double check that your PSU is big enough to power the extra wattage the card needs. I'd only look at CPU upgrades if you are currently running an i3.
  • hassi111
    billsey said:
    Its a i7-7700 the other actuaally is 16gb  so its 8gb and 8gb, im already thinking about the SSD, thanks for helping me im  new in this,
  • billsey
    Yeah, then the SSD should be first, then a new GPU. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference the SSD will give you, once you're cloned over to it so it's your boot drive and OS drive.