How much sdd capacity, the new Nitro 5 can be upgraded?

Options
lrockrosales
lrockrosales Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently bought on Amazon de new 2020 Acer Nitro 5 An515-54-5812, what is the maximum sdd I can put on it ?

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,063 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    I recently bought on Amazon de new 2020 Acer Nitro 5 An515-54-5812, what is the maximum sdd I can put on it ?

First, if you are using Win-10 then 2TB and GPT is required for partitions larger than 2TB. You don’t need UEFI to have a non-bootable drive thats greater than 2TB, only GPT. Also, when installing 4TB disk on Windows 10, you may come across disk not detecting or 4TB only shows 2TB. When installing Win-10 on a 4TB HDD, you may find it did not partition correctly. This is a question that you need to solve in the first place because you need Win-10 to detect it first. If Win-10 cannot recognize 4TB disk, it could be explained by following reasons.

• You BIOS is not up to date. You need to update it to the latest version.

• You 4TB hard drive does not connect properly. Disconnect it and try again.

• Your external HDD enclosure or USB-to-SATA cable for 4TB hard drive cannot be detected. You may want to connect the 4TB disk through another media.

If the large hard drive has been initialized to GPT and can be detected by BIOS and Disk Management but not Windows, you can assign a drive letter to its partitions, or update Win-10 to the latest version and try again.

Your Acer Nitro 5 An515-54-5812 can accomodate the following: 1x 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch and 1x 3D NAND M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD, see below.

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can put 2x M2 SDDs PCIe of SATA up to 1TB and 1x HDD/SSD 2,5` up to 2TB. Check the picture below to see the ports available.

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• batmalin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Only if you have a warranty sticker on the one of the screws.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,063 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Options

First, if you are using Win-10 then 2TB and GPT is required for partitions larger than 2TB. You don’t need UEFI to have a non-bootable drive thats greater than 2TB, only GPT. Also, when installing 4TB disk on Windows 10, you may come across disk not detecting or 4TB only shows 2TB. When installing Win-10 on a 4TB HDD, you may find it did not partition correctly. This is a question that you need to solve in the first place because you need Win-10 to detect it first. If Win-10 cannot recognize 4TB disk, it could be explained by following reasons.

• Your external HDD enclosure or USB-to-SATA cable for 4TB hard drive cannot be detected. You may want to connect the 4TB disk through another media.

If the large hard drive has been initialized to GPT and can be detected by BIOS and Disk Management but not Windows, you can assign a drive letter to its partitions, or update Win-10 to the latest version and try again.

Your Acer Nitro 5 An515-54-5812 can accomodate the following: 1x 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch and 1x 3D NAND M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD, see below.

• batmalin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can put 2x M2 SDDs PCIe of SATA up to 1TB and 1x HDD/SSD 2,5` up to 2TB. Check the picture below to see the ports available.

• lrockrosales

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

Thank you very much! Does any of these upgrades have warranty issues?
  • lrockrosales

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:

Thanks Does anyupgrade have issues with the 1 year Acer warranty?
  • batmalin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Only if you have a warranty sticker on the one of the screws.