Swift 314-57-584B, fingerprint reader intermittent fault and camera unsuitable for Windows Hello

JoannaMacmillan
JoannaMacmillan Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Since switching on my new laptop and setting it up this week  the fingerprint reader has been working sometimes and sometimes not. When it doesn't work I have to enter my PIN. I have removed fingers  and reset them, disabled and enabled the driver in Device Manager and made sure that new Windows 10 updates are installed. When setting up a finger it takes ages and always says that it is having trouble recognising my finger and to clean the reader. Fingers and reader look fine to me! I have searched online and not found any solutions. I even reset all the passwords, PIN and finger in that order as someone said that worked. It doesn't seem to be linked to a restart after full shut down, sleep, hibernation or lock in particular. If it works on not seems random and more often than not it doesn't work. Seems to be 3 goes then the PIN is needed which is no hardship but having paid for this feature it would be nice if it worked
Secondly Windows Hello facial recognition says that it cannot find a suitable camera. Does it not work on the camera supplied with the Swift 3 laptop? 
I'm not sure if its the PC or Windows 10. 

Answers

• You said this "It doesn't seem to be linked to a restart after full shut down, sleep, hibernation or lock in particular." Now, have you also checked whether the problem may be related to fast startup?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    Yes, I turned it off but the finger print reader still fails to work every time. I did find online that an IR camera is required for Hello Face and Swift 3 does not have one of these.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Thanks. I did that. Still not working all the time. Often it says "finger print not recognised, try using  another finger". Sometimes I retry and it works and sometimes it doesn't and I have to use the PIN. It makes no difference if I am logged in on microsoft or a local account. :)
  • moniqueR
    moniqueR Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello Joanna, is your Windows Hello face login working now? I have the same problem with my new acer swift 3.
  • @moniqueR Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Hi and thanks for all your help so far :). Re the Hello Face I found out that an IR / Infrared Camera is required and that the Swift 3 does not come with one :(
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

I am wondering if it is a hardware rather then software problem as its intermittent and thus doesn't make sense. :). All help very appreciated.
  • About the fingerprint, what happens when you disable fast startup in the power options? Also, when you disable fingerprint power management in the device manager, does the same problem occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

I already disabled fast start up as that was one of the possible solutions I found on line. Here's the screen shot. I did "do nothing" for the lid closing. 
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

If I disable the fingerprint reader in device manager it is indeed disabled. Ie when I start up/unlock/open the lid etc fingerprint reder isn't an option. When I enable it again it works intermittently again and the problem has come back....
  • Have you tried to disable fingerprint management? Example:
    HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader Windows 8

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

I have disabled it and it stopped working. When I enabled it, it sometimes works but not all the time. Oddly the Print Screen button isn't working for device manager. I don't have a fingerprint management thing in my options - only details, rollback, update, unistall, reinstall
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Alt and PrtSc did it. Normally I only need to do PrtSc. 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Alt and PrtSc did it. Normally I only need to do PrtSc. 
  • JoannaMacmillan

Tinkerer

Hi, that looks like the fingerprint driver that is already installed. Do you think I should reinstall from the acer website and the same for the Intel driver? 
  • Click on unistall device and then select delete driver. Then install the driver provided by acer.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JoannaM
    JoannaM Member Posts: 8 New User
    Morning! I did this and got this message in the device driver events log "Device USB\VID_1C7A&PID_0570\5&4666318&0&5 requires further installation."  It works now and again but not all the time. So frustrating! Thanks for continuing to help J

• JoannaM
    JoannaM Member Posts: 8 New User
    Oh and I am the originator of this post but despite using the same email address when I reset my password they reset me so JoannaMacmillan and JoannaM are the same person / problem!