Would like to upgrade graphics card to run triple monitors , how do I do this

stinger13
stinger13 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Have been told I can’t upgrade the graphics card on my Orion 3000 bought dec 2019 ,serial number Dge1bsa015938061dc9600 as it’s not cabled/wired correctly to do so. I have already bought the 3 Acer monitors.
can you advise if this is correct if not what is the best graphic card to use and that will fit.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,571 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, unless I'm mistaken there's enough room under the HDD plate to allow a normal length card. IIRC they shipped with 1060, 1070, 1660 ti, 2060 and 2070. You could put any in as well as the newer cards, it's gated by your wallet more than by the machine. I can't quite read the label on the PSU but I expect it's a 500W so check for the power budget if you buy a newer card, some of the newer request 650W or even higher. You can certainly find something to give you more ports, I've got no idea why the one they shipped with yours has so few.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    There are a bunch of different Predator Orion 3000 models, which one do you have? Should be something like PO3-600-xxxx. Which GPU is installed? That is the main thing that will determine how many monitors to connect, you could have any of several options on the GPU. Maybe could you take a picture of the GPU connectors on the back of the computer? Most of those higher end GPU cards have plenty of room for more monitors...
    BTW you can upgrade the GPU card, no idea who told you different or why...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stinger13
    Thanks for replying Billsey
    its a PO3-600 GMG DTP DNX
    See attached photos is supposed to be a GTX 1550 , from my research it looks like a mini version
    I am hoping I can just install a 1560 mini with more display ports , what do you think?
  • stinger13
    Sorry Billsey I meant 1650 and 1660
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, unless I'm mistaken there's enough room under the HDD plate to allow a normal length card. IIRC they shipped with 1060, 1070, 1660 ti, 2060 and 2070. You could put any in as well as the newer cards, it's gated by your wallet more than by the machine. I can't quite read the label on the PSU but I expect it's a 500W so check for the power budget if you buy a newer card, some of the newer request 650W or even higher. You can certainly find something to give you more ports, I've got no idea why the one they shipped with yours has so few.
  • stinger13
    Thanks much appreciated
  • stinger13
    FYI put a new gtx 1650 mini GPU in it With 3 ports , works great on the 3 monitors.
    once again thanks for the help
  • billsey
    Good to know! :)