General Computer Question : My old computer does frequent Self-Reboot

ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
My old computer is acting up. It will self-reboot anytime. Sometimes it will reboot in just 5 minutes, sometimes in 2-3 hours. Checking by inserting just one stick of memory to memory slot separately cannot eliminate which stick is bad. Just want to see if other people have similar problem can share some insights.

Best Answer

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear egydiocoelho,

Thanks for the info about the software. Even though the program will not detect the temperature of the memory sticks, it will provide plenty of info about the computer.

I concentrated on memory sticks and memory slots for the self-reboot problem.  After 30-40 reboots I've heard one long beep and two short beeps ( out of this many times). Visited the Asus web site and this pointed to the VGA port problem. Unplugged the VGA connection and the problem is gone. Who knows this problem is from a just one year old MSI graphics card.

Thanks again for the attention.

Answers

• what is the exact model and the problem? example an515-51-75kz. Have you checked the temperatures?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Dear egydiocoelho,

The computer is a self build one. The motherboard is ASUS M5A97 LE R.2, with AMD FX8350 processor.
    I only have the CrystalDiskInfo software to detect the disk temperature. Do you have suggestion what to use to see what the temperature is in Windows 10 environment for CPU and RAM sticks
    ? Currently, I still think memory sticks is the possible source of problem.
  • Have you checked temperatures with hwmonitor?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear egydiocoelho,

Thanks for the info about the software. Even though the program will not detect the temperature of the memory sticks, it will provide plenty of info about the computer.

I concentrated on memory sticks and memory slots for the self-reboot problem.  After 30-40 reboots I've heard one long beep and two short beeps ( out of this many times). Visited the Asus web site and this pointed to the VGA port problem. Unplugged the VGA connection and the problem is gone. Who knows this problem is from a just one year old MSI graphics card.

Thanks again for the attention.
  • You are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer