Acer nitro 5 sudden fps drops in all games

DarkHoax121
DarkHoax121 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I just recently bought an acer nitro 5 AN 515-43,the specs are ryzen5 3550h,nvidia gtx1650 4gb,8gb ram,1tb hdd.I just purchased this lap last week.I tried running some games like farcry 5,nfs payback,fortnite etc and came across sudden fps drops in all the games.ill be getting around 60 fps in high/ultra settings but then suddenly the fps drops to 5-10 for a second and then goes back to 60 fps ..its so frustrating to be unable to play any game in the laptop ...all of a sudden the fps goes down to 5-10 and then comes back up.the fps drops happens throughout the gaming session...Someone plzz help I purchased this laptop for gaming and it's so heartbreaking not being able to play games in it...my windows is up to date,all drivers are updated ,gpu has the latest drivers(updated them through geforce experience) I even reinstalled windows hoping it would fix the issue. someone plzz help me ...I'm so depressed bcoz of the fact that I cant game in a gaming laptop...
Thnks in advance for the solutions

Best Answer

• DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thnks guys but I actually found a fix for this issue....just upgrade your ram...mine had 8gugs of ram but out of which 2.smtng was reserved for hardware ..which means I was left with less than 6gigs of ram. .that was what was causing the stutters...yesterday i upgraded the ram to 16 gigs and boom....all my lag was gone....now all the games are buttery smooth....thnks for spending your valuable time for sorting me out....

Answers

• ashish159
    ashish159 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Generally it happens due to thermal throttling. Check what is your CPU temperature during gaming. There are multiple option available to check that. MSI afterburner is one. Generally on AMD chipsets thermal throttling happens at around 100 degree. Try to run your computer in a cool place and check if there is proper airflow available at the bottom of the laptop.  :)
  • MihaiEVO
    MihaiEVO Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    First off, enter Nitrosense and select Max from the fan control tab and High performance from the Mode tab:
    I have a Acer nitro 5 When i open up nitro sense it says the gpu

If the problem still persists, undervolt the CPU and the GPU. Let me know if Nitrosense did the job, if not, try undervolting.
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

MihaiEVO said:
    First off, enter Nitrosense and select Max from the fan control tab and High performance from the Mode tab:

If the problem still persists, undervolt the CPU and the GPU. Let me know if Nitrosense did the job, if not, try undervolting.
    Mine was already in high perfomance and I tried gaming with fans set to max but no luck... the cpu temps are below hundred I guess... the cpu load in nitro sense was less than hundred while it was hundred in task manager although gpu was around 97 to 99...
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

ashish159 said:
    Generally it happens due to thermal throttling. Check what is your CPU temperature during gaming. There are multiple option available to check that. MSI afterburner is one. Generally on AMD chipsets thermal throttling happens at around 100 degree. Try to run your computer in a cool place and check if there is proper airflow available at the bottom of the laptop.  :)
    Ya soo like u said I did measure the cpu temperature with nitro sense while gaming and it was around 85 ...Measured it using nitro sense so I don't know if its correct since nitro sense gave me wrong cpu usage last time I doubt if its correct ...Ya the lap has proper airflow available as I'm using it on my computer table and has no obstructions blocking the airway of the lap..
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

MihaiEVO said:

Mine was already in high perfomance and I tried gaming with fans set to max but no luck... the cpu temps are below hundred I guess... the cpu load in nitro sense was less than hundred while it was hundred in task manager although gpu was around 97 to 99...
    Just checkd again in task manager and found out that my gpu utilisation is around 72-80 and my cpu is 100 percent all the time while gaming and also noticed that my cpu utilisation drops while I experience the fps drops/stutters.
  • MihaiEVO
    What is your hard drive usage? If it's 100% all the time it might be the hard drive... What is your GPU temperature? You might experience frame drops if the GPU is thermal throttling... The Pascal GPUs start throttling at about over 80 degrees Celsius to prevent damage, and shuts down the system if the temperature of the GPU is over 90 degrees. Check your GPU temperature for now, you can find it using HWiNFO64 and clicking on Sensors. Start up a game and keep it running, and check the temperature. You might need to apply a undervolt to both the CPU and the GPU, since they have a shared heatsink... Let us know your temperatures.
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

MihaiEVO said:
    What is your hard drive usage? If it's 100% all the time it might be the hard drive... What is your GPU temperature? You might experience frame drops if the GPU is thermal throttling... The Pascal GPUs start throttling at about over 80 degrees Celsius to prevent damage, and shuts down the system if the temperature of the GPU is over 90 degrees. Check your GPU temperature for now, you can find it using HWiNFO64 and clicking on Sensors. Start up a game and keep it running, and check the temperature. You might need to apply a undervolt to both the CPU and the GPU, since they have a shared heatsink... Let us know your temperatures.
    No my harddrive usage is not 100 percent as I checked them before...also my gpu temps are fine around 60-70°...I'll check them once more and reply if it's more than 80...for now it's fine I guess...Also is undervolting safe to do and idk y I'm supposed to undervolt my lap cause it's a new one...plzz help me out....also my cpu usage remains 100 percent throughout the gaming session 
  • MihaiEVO
    I recommend undervolting only if your CPU temperature stays over 90 degrees C while gaming, what is your CPU temperature while gaming? I will try to guide you during the process.
  • I suggest you check if the fan is really in trouble:

It shouldn't be at 0pm.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

I suggest you check if the fan is really in trouble:

It shouldn't be at 0pm.
    That's not mine actually...in my case both the fans are working and are not at zero ....plzz help me dude idk what to do ....I bought this lap with a lot of expectations and now I'm totally disappointed 
  • Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

Can you provide the exact model? Example an515-51-75kz
    Acer nitro 5 AN515-43-R3JU
  • I will invite colleagues @GAMING6698 and @batmalin to participate in this topic, as they have this model of notebook.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

I will invite colleagues @GAMING6698 and @batmalin to participate in this topic, as they have this model of notebook.
    K....
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    I am not a gamer so lets wait from someone else to comment, one userbenchmark would be helpfull.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    I am not a gamer so lets wait from someone else to comment, one userbenchmark would be helpfull.
    Help me dude .....
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Download UserBenchmark and run it and post the link.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• DarkHoax121

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    Download UserBenchmark and run it and post the link.
    Yaa I will also when I played gta v I noticed that I'll be getting above 60 fps and the game will be smooth for a few minutes after which there will be stutters...

• K4z
    K4z Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same experience. My fps are low in games even on low settings. My fps on csgo wont even hit 100
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    K4z said:
    Same experience. My fps are low in games even on low settings. My fps on csgo wont even hit 100
    you sure YOU are running it on dedicated gpu and not intel hd graphics? that is usually the problem. Sometimes setting the preferred gpu as nvidia still does not work with some games and you may have to manually add the .exe file to it.
This discussion has been closed.