What is the largest capacity SSD NVME drive the Aspire TC-865 can support?

VisualFX
VisualFX Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I want to install an M.2 NVMe SSD, but I want to make sure that the motherboard can support it. Any idea how big of storage it can handle?
I have a TC-865 U14 (DT.BDLAA.002). BIOS version is R01-C2

Best Answers

• 1937Dodge
    1937Dodge Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    I have been running an Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCle 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC SSD as my boot and main drive for over 19 months in my Aspire TC-865 (PN: DTBARAA.002 and BIOS R01-C2) with no problems.  I was using the original 1TB HDD along with the Intel 660p boot drive for additional video and photo storage but disconnected it as I didn't need the extra storage space and found my boot times were faster with just the Intel 660p.  I have read of others using other brand 1TB NVMe's with no reported problems.  Haven't read of anyone running a 2TB NVMe.  Would have put one in and tried it if I needed the extra storage space and had the $$$.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, there is no technical reason why you should have any issue with a big SSD. The 2TB drives aren't too out of range for pricing, I put the 2TB 660 series in my desktop last year.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,089 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    I couldn't find any details about the maximum size of M.2 SSD in this model but I have seen other users installed up to 512GB.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-865/95275
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning VisualFX !

Support for large storage capacities on the PCIe interface depends directly on the access controllers on the motherboard.
    As there is no standardization, my recommendation is whenever it does not exceed 960Gb.
    In the Sata 3 insterface, the limit is the same as for any HDD.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• 1937Dodge
    1937Dodge Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    I have been running an Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCle 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC SSD as my boot and main drive for over 19 months in my Aspire TC-865 (PN: DTBARAA.002 and BIOS R01-C2) with no problems.  I was using the original 1TB HDD along with the Intel 660p boot drive for additional video and photo storage but disconnected it as I didn't need the extra storage space and found my boot times were faster with just the Intel 660p.  I have read of others using other brand 1TB NVMe's with no reported problems.  Haven't read of anyone running a 2TB NVMe.  Would have put one in and tried it if I needed the extra storage space and had the $$$.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, there is no technical reason why you should have any issue with a big SSD. The 2TB drives aren't too out of range for pricing, I put the 2TB 660 series in my desktop last year.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.