Problem with Microsoft Word on Chromebook 714

CBr1115
CBr1115 Member Posts: 7 New User
Help! I'm getting really frustrated with my sons new Chromebook 714. When using Microsoft Word, it won't allow us to do any of the actions that require a click & drag action with the trackpad (or mouse when attached) - for example, if we want to resize a textbook or picture, or even just selecting text.  We don't have this problem in any of the other Microsoft office apps, and my daughter has a Spin 15 and it works perfectly fine on there, so I can't understand why there is an issue. We've spoken to Microsoft, who have suggested lots of things to fix it and are looking into it their end but nothing works. Acer support won't even acknowledge that there could be an issue, simply saying it is an App problem.   Has anyone else come across this problem or any ideas of potential fixes?  I know he could use Google Docs, but given everything else he does is via Office and he uses OneDrive for storage, we really want to be able to use Word.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Does the click and drag work elsewhere? It would be helpful to narrow it down to the app, the OS and the touchpad. Also, if you try with a mouse does it work as you'd expect?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CBr1115
    Thanks. Yes, followed the Microsoft guide, and we have the app installed. It opens ok, it is just that functionality that doesn't work.

The click & drag works in other apps, including Powerpoint and also non-Microsoft apps like Google Docs, so it does seem to be something App specific. The issue is the same regardless of whether we are using the touchpad or a mouse, so I don't think it is specific to the touchpad either.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    >>>my daughter has a Spin 15 and it works perfectly fine on there,>>>

Any differences in the way office was set up on this machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CBr1115
    JackE said:
    >>>my daughter has a Spin 15 and it works perfectly fine on there,>>>

Any differences in the way office was set up on this machine? Jack E/NJ
    No. The only difference we could think of is that the Spin 15 has a touchscreen, whereas the 714 doesn't. But not sure why that would cause the issue.
  • JackE
    So every Office app is fine on the Spin15. And every Office app is fine except Word on the CB714. Are the Word files on the Spin15 exactly the same as the Word files on the CB714?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CBr1115
    JackE said:
    So every Office app is fine on the Spin15. And every Office app is fine except Word on the CB714. Are the Word files on the Spin15 exactly the same as the Word files on the CB714?  Jack E/NJ
    Yep -we've tried various files, including creating new files using the various Office templates, and it happens on all of them. I've also had a look at all the settings on the two machines to make sure they are the same. So I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. We've also tried powerwashing the Chromebook and reinstalling the App, but no change.
  • JackE
    Does this mean creating & saving a new Word doc from the Spin15, then immediately opening it on the CB714? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CBr1115
    JackE said:
    Does this mean creating & saving a new Word doc from the Spin15, then immediately opening it on the CB714? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, so the doc works on the Spin15, we can then open it on the 714 but can't click and drag at all. Save it, reopen on the Spin 15 and it works fine on there again. So it is definitely something on the 714 and not the files themselves. We may just have to bite thebullet and start using google docs instead, but its a pain to try to use it with OneDrive

• JackE
    >>>click and drag>>>

Is this with the touchpad? Exactly how are you performing this?  On some touchpads you click on the item with one finger, then drag it with another finger. Did the 714 come with a users manual? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CBr1115
    With the trackpad we have tried click and drag with one finger, tap and drag, click with one finger and drag with second finger, etc. 
    On the mouse it is normal click button and drag. 
    None of the above work in Word, though as I say it is all OK in any other App.
  • JackE
    >>>I'm getting really frustrated with my sons new Chromebook 714>>>
    >>>None of the above work in Word, though as I say it is all OK in any other App. >>>

So I guess this means ACER support can claim it's either a Word or ChromeOS problem.  And Microsoft can claim it's either an ACER or Google problem. And Google can claim it's either a Microsoft or ACER problem. Yep, sounds like everybody's covered here. Except for you & your son of course.

If it was mine, I'd return the 714 pronto to the vendor/seller as defective for a refund or another chromebook brand or model  before the vendor's RMA policy period expires. Usually only a few weeks. Frankly, I don't see ACER, Microsoft or Google helping much anytime soon. If beyond the store's returns policy period, the only other options are, as you suggest googledocs, or https://www.offidocs.com/ which some chromebook users prefer especially using LibreOffice online which can create and edit all the MicrosoftOffice apps .  I use LibreOffice exclusively myself because it can also handle all my older Microsoft office business files dating back to the Win95/98 era.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CBr1115
    JackE said:
    >>>I'm getting really frustrated with my sons new Chromebook 714>>>
    >>>None of the above work in Word, though as I say it is all OK in any other App. >>>

So I guess this means ACER support can claim it's either a Word or ChromeOS problem.  And Microsoft can claim it's either an ACER or Google problem. And Google can claim it's either a Microsoft or ACER problem. Yep, sounds like everybody's covered here. Except for you & your son of course.

If it was mine, I'd return the 714 pronto to the vendor/seller as defective for a refund or another chromebook brand or model  before the vendor's RMA policy period expires. Usually only a few weeks. Frankly, I don't see ACER, Microsoft or Google helping much anytime soon. If beyond the store's returns policy period, the only other options are, as you suggest googledocs, or https://www.offidocs.com/ which some chromebook users prefer especially using LibreOffice online which can create and edit all the MicrosoftOffice apps .  I use LibreOffice exclusively myself because it can also handle all my older Microsoft office business files dating back to the Win95/98 era.

Jack E/NJ

Thanks for your help - that is where we are at in terms of our thoughts - Acer (who we bought direct from) saying it is too late but going to point out the regulations on faulty goods and push for a refund or replacement with another model.
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon

I suppose I'd like to see another Spin 714/MS Word user chime in. FWIW, my Spin 714 has a touchscreen and Acer says in the specs that the Spin 714 has a touchscreen. I've seen chromebooks where one model with have a touchscreen and a non-touchscreen version but Spin 714 doesn't seem to be one.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

All Spin models, whether Chromebook or Windows, have a touchscreen. Only some support an active stylus in addition. The non-Spin models could either have one or not, depending on model number.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.