Swift 1 SF 114-32 - Dual external Monitors in Extended Mode?

Options
ChrisM6
ChrisM6 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, 
I have two Acer H271HL monitors set up and ready to go, but can only get one to work through the Laptop Swift 1 SF 114-32 HDMI dock. 

Have just gathered that the USB C port on my SF 114-32 won't drive a second HDMI monitor (Acer H271HL) using a USB C to HDMI Adaptor. 

Before I buy a load more adaptors and use trial and error, can the Laptop Swift 1 SF 114-32 do any form of extended mode working with dual external monitors? If yes, how? For example, USB C to VGA or USB 3 to VGA etc?

I'm not bothered about fantastic picture quality on the second monitor, just need more screen space... 

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Chris

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, your SF114-32 has a gen 1 USB-C, so no video over it directly. What you want is a dock, either USB-C or USB 3.0, that can provide the video connection. There are lots of docks that will do it, just pick one that supports the required resolution and isn't locked into a single monitor off it. There are some that have multiple video ports, but you can only use one at a time. You can get away with the latter since you have an HDMI for your second monitor, but it's nicer to know you can move to three displays or still use two if the HDMI port goes out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ChrisM6
    Options
    Thank you for the comment Billsey. Currently experimenting with different USB-C docks but no joy as yet. Do you or anyone else can recommend a specifc dock that does provide dual monitor working in some shape or form with a Swift 1 SF 114-32?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, while your usb-c is gen1 data speeds, it also supports displayport output. So I think you should be able to plug a passive usbc-to-dp output adapter into the monitor's dp input port and it should be recognized. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Dell Dock W15 supports two monitors simultaneously , so that might be a viable option. Their older D6000 dock also would be a choice if it's still available.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ChrisM6
    Options
    Dear Billsey / Jack E, 
    Many thanks for the kind assistance. Delighted to say that I've now got dual external monitor extended mode working out of a Swift 1 SF 114-32 - although I've used a USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter instead  - CableTrans USB HDMI USB 3.0 adapter  - £18 from Amazon.

Bit fiddly getting it all working;  once I'd downloaded the USB 3.0 adapter drivers and re-started the machine etc, for some reason needed  to disconnect the monitor attached to the HDMI port in the laptop to get the second monitor running from the USB 3.0 / HDMI adapter going. Then re-connected the HDMI port monitor and - yippee -dual monitors extended mode...

Don't notice any significant drop in resolution or quality between my Acer H271HL monitor running from the adapter in USB 3.0 port and the other running from the laptop HDMI port - although I don't need fantastic graphics in my line of work.  Others may disagree if this is their thing. 

Haven't yet tried the Dell Docks kindly suggested previously through the USB C port nor the separate Display Port monitor in the USB C port  - figured trying the USB 3.0 adaptor would be the cheapest solution if it worked... which it has.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ