Orion 3000 PO3-600 upgrades

Options
Chewitt
Chewitt Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi Guys, first time posting and completely new to upgrading this small of a case.

How far generally can you upgrade this case in terms of motherboard compatibility (including case modding), CPU, power supply and GPU? What’s the max potential this machine could reach? I bought with a small form factor in mind that I could cram some spare cash into at a later date.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,994 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's actually pretty upgradable. The PSU is a standard ATX supply, the motherboard is a standard DTX (a little smaller than uATX but uses the same mounts) with a single X16 slot and a single X1 slot, the GPU is a full size card and if you're not using the X1 slot supports a double wide. There's a third slot opening in the back that doesn't have a motherboard slot so you can cable over for more connectors. Direct upgrades are dependent on your model, if you already have a maxed processor and maxed ram there's not a lot more to be done, but if you bought on a budget there's better processors and more memory available. You might be a little tight for adding a bunch of drives, the M.2 slot gives you one SSD and that can be NVMe, the HDD/ODD brackets give you two HDDs and one ODD I believe, and that's matched with three SATA connections on the MB. A replacement MB is likely to lose you the front panel ports, since those are done directly from the MB instead of through cables like older systems used.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's actually pretty upgradable. The PSU is a standard ATX supply, the motherboard is a standard DTX (a little smaller than uATX but uses the same mounts) with a single X16 slot and a single X1 slot, the GPU is a full size card and if you're not using the X1 slot supports a double wide. There's a third slot opening in the back that doesn't have a motherboard slot so you can cable over for more connectors. Direct upgrades are dependent on your model, if you already have a maxed processor and maxed ram there's not a lot more to be done, but if you bought on a budget there's better processors and more memory available. You might be a little tight for adding a bunch of drives, the M.2 slot gives you one SSD and that can be NVMe, the HDD/ODD brackets give you two HDDs and one ODD I believe, and that's matched with three SATA connections on the MB. A replacement MB is likely to lose you the front panel ports, since those are done directly from the MB instead of through cables like older systems used.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dislikesproprietary
    dislikesproprietary Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I find quite the opposite.  This computer isn't upgradable without major reconstruction.  The PSU is 500w and will not support anything with the need for two 6 pin power connectors so say goodbye to 2080ti's and anything in that range or below/above.  The MB is also proprietary which means if you want to upgrade the PSU you need to find a way of wiring the PSU yourself as there is no option (at least that I can find) that will power anything more powerful then comes with the computer.  I wish I knew this before buying it as a black friday purchase for my sons Hanukkah give as I'm stuck here with a 2080Ti sitting on my desk that will not work in this system, fits physically fine but no power and no options for upgrading. 
  • billsey
    Options
    The power supply is a standard ATX12VO style, and though they are harder to find since they are so new, they are available. No need to change the MB or hack and special connectors if you buy the single rail 12V supply.
  • dislikesproprietary
    dislikesproprietary Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    so far I have found none that work and will fit this MB and be 750+, if you know of any please link with that special connector, thanks.
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Chewitt said:
    Hi Guys, first time posting and completely new to upgrading this small of a case.

How far generally can you upgrade this case in terms of motherboard compatibility (including case modding), CPU, power supply and GPU? What’s the max potential this machine could reach? I bought with a small form factor in mind that I could cram some spare cash into at a later date.
    You can upgrade literally every piece on this case.

The motherboard size that comes with it is DTX as stated, but that size is literally not sold anywhere and unavailable, so ignore that. The only size motherboard you can fit in this case is a mini ITX, which is easily available. The powersupply is a standard ATX, unless you have a newer PO3-620 model. The only issue is the front ports will be uncovered since the factory motherboard has the ports attached to it for some reason lol. I dont know what to do about this 

I have changed every piece on mine, has a 3070 and a i9-9900k, with a z390 motherboard.

• OitsJoe
    OitsJoe Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi,

I have never upgraded a PC before and I currently have the Acer Orion 3000 PO3-600, I find the computer to work well, but when playing games the fans that come with the PC tend to spin up and become quite loud. - Mine came with the 1660ti - i5 9400f

Has anyone upgraded the fans in theirs? Mine came with a small clear one for the exhaust, one in the front and one on my CPU, but I want to upgrade them. If you have changed the fans in yours, would you be able to link me the ones which you used? Just so I know I am getting the correct ones, and does the standard motherboard have the correct input slots for different fans?

Thanks