Acer Chromebook turns on but stops at a black screen C738T-C44Z

JBCSE
JBCSE Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks
I'm trying to boot into recovery mode by pressing the keys: ESC + Refresh + power button.
The chromebook turns on but stops at a black screen.  Is there something different that needs to be done for this Chromebook C738T-C44Z?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    No, that should be the correct process:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JBCSE
    The Chromebook was previously used at a school and is "managed".

Does "managed" block the ESC + Reload + Power recovery process?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Very, very likely. They tend to lock as much down as possible to block enterprising students from doing less than safe things with them. Do you have access to the School still? They are the ones who should have unenrolled it as part of the process in getting it ready for disposal.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JBCSE
    No, unfortunately.  Some organizations throw away Chromebooks that are still locked.

This is the first Chromebook that I've tested that shows a black screen instead of the recovery mode.  I've tested quite a few others: HP, Dell, Toshiba, other Acers that were "managed" but it was still possible to reach recovery mode.
  • JBCSE
    Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R works for the power wash.
  • Bananaron
    Bananaron Member Posts: 1 New User

Is this laptop capable of running steam