Acer aspire swith 10 missing devices

womble
womble Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Missing are touch screen, cameras, speakers, microphone, micro SD card reader, battery level indicator and maybe more. I noticed the battery level missing last year after a Microsoft update. Did nothing about it. I don't know if the touch screen went at the same time, I didn't use it. Found out about cameras etc. when I tried to shift my wife and Skype off my main computer. Have tried reinstalling Windows 10, hard restore. I have a micro Sd card with "recovery drive" which I can incert into the USB port, but can't see anything on it other than Windows. Device manager does not show any speakers camera etc. Comand prompt DISKPART, list volume, gives only "volume 0 C Acer NTFS 28 GB Healthy boot and volume 1 ESP FAT32 100 MB Healthy System" no recovery partition. I can't reinstall drivers - haven't got them and device manager doesn't see missing items. Help, where do I go from here?

Answers

• womble

Tinkerer

Further to the above, if anybody is thinking about my problem. I have discovered a "recovery drive" for this laptop (among TBs of junk) and installed that to a USB drive. However in WinRE and troubleshoot the computer doesn't accept it. Tony
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Have you gone through Acer's support site and installed all the drivers for your machine? The base Windows install often doesn't have all the drivers for laptops.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • In addition, you need to provide the exact model as well. Example a515-51-58vh.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • womble

Tinkerer

Found S/N NTG1WEK001522797367200
    I have revisited the Acer support site and realised that I had missed the dropdown fron Windows 10 64 bit to 32 bit. That now presents me with a set of 7 drivers plus the warning "before installing the touchpad driver, please install the serial I/O driver first". I see 'Audio' so downloaded that and unzipped it.
    1) Don't know what to do with the downloaded audio file as device manager does have an audio entry.
    2) don't see drivers for all my other problems, camera etc.
    Detailed help would be much appreciated.
    Tony

• womble

Tinkerer

should have read "device manager does not have an audio entry"

• womble

Tinkerer

Having bored down the unzipped, I come to an X86 folder containing "RtkNGUI.exe", 7,597 KB, clicking activates for a second or so and doesn't seem to change anything. Still no audio anywhere.
    Tony
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • womble

Tinkerer

1) Downloaded that platform as a zip file. 2) Clicked on install.cmd - a command window opened giving "Windows cannot find 'setup.exe.....'  3) Clicked on folder w8w10, this gave a page with a Setup.exe among it. 4) Clicked on that Setup.exe, taken to a user Account Control window to "allow this app". Taken to a new Windows installer with a red cross button "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installation package". 5) Burrowed further down the folder. I came across a file with \Win10\ containing a setup.exe and a folder labelled drivers. Clicked on setup.exe went to a permission window. After agreeing, nothing changed.
    If this is unclear, I suppose that this forum will allow me to post a series of screen shots if that is better.
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to try to get me through this.
    Tony
  • Are you using windows 10 or 8.1 32bit or 64bit?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    One thing I've see happen a few times... When you open the zip file you need to extract all before running the setup program. If you run setup from within the unextracted zip you get very much those symptoms.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • womble

Tinkerer

Brilliant. I hadn't unzipped first. Having now done so I am almost back to a full operation, many thanks. Touch screen, camera, microphone, card reader and battery indicator all work as they should. I have then used Driver Easy Free to update three other drivers and I am left with one (or maybe 2)problems. The speaker output is just about reasonable playing music at 100% volume, however on "camera" even on 100%, it is very faint. I don't know yet what it will be like on Skype, probably the same as Camera. The reason I have been going through this exercise is to get my wife off my other computers and out of my office when she is Sykping! It does work with external speakers plugged into the headphone jack, so may have make do with that. The other oddity is in Device Manager where there is a folder "Other Devices/unknown device" with a yellow triangle. Never seen that before, nothing extra plugged in, and no driver discovered when I go to the web; also Driver Easy Free doesn't flag it up.
    Many thanks billsey for you answers and also to egydiocoelho for giving me the encouragement to go on. At one stage I was going to throw the laptop away and fork out for something new but cheap. However, having used computers for nearly 60 years, on and off, everything that was cheap also looked very poorly speced.
    I have learnt a lot from your help, will put me in good stead when I bite the bullet on this laptop and go to 64 bit operation, bound to be another nightmare. (My main computers always have trouble with Microsoft main updates, they equipped with too many old legacy programs, scanner and printer that I am familiar with and therefore prefer).

Tony

• You're welcome, my friend. Accept the reply from Mr Billsey.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    To help with the unknown device in Device Manager, bring up the Details tab on its Properties and copy the Hardware Ids down for us. Often that will help in discovering which driver is missing.
  • womble

Tinkerer

ACPI\SMO 8500\3 Apparently this is an accelerometer. A Google search on this PC reveals that somebody had same "unknown device" problem and was steered to a driver for a Dell computer. This took me to a 64 bit download i.e.this PC. A Google search on the Acer itself comes up with links for a ...8800... instead. Something odd. I don't think that I need the accelerometer so maybe I should stop while I am ahead. Tony
  • What happens when you download the iobo driverbooster? The program may find this driver. Also, what is the version of windows and bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    The accelerometer is used by the OS to determine if you are changing from notebook to tent mode or rotating the machine while in tablet mode. You can do screen rotations manually so it's not critical. Are you running a 32bit or 64bit OS? Yours came originally with 32bit, and there are few drivers for a 64bit version.
  • womble

Tinkerer

1) My Acer is a 2in1, i.e. doesn't do tent mode. Actually it has a very poor hinge, the slightest movement can cause it to switch to touch screen only, tablet mode whilst I am using it as a traditional laptop; but it has done that from almost the day I got it. Would never buy another 2in1.
    It is running a Windows 10 32-bit, and as I wrote above, I can't find a 32-bit for an ACPI\SMO 8500\3, only a 64-bit for an ACPI\SMO 8800\3.
    2) I  you are referring to "IObit driver booster". That tells me that all my drivers are up to date. (So also does "Avast Driver Updater and Easyware Driver Updater Free). The machine works well on Zoom but poor on Skype (very weak volume) nuts isn't it. It never rains but it pours, I have been having sound failure on my main PC and have been at it most of the day deleting and reloading PCI and USB  drivers to sort that out. Have also found on my network a supposed computer MUSTANG KFMUWI which apparently appeared after a Microsoft update but is actually an Amazon Fire stick. To cure I am supposed to disable WPS. Unfortunately My recently replaced Talktalk router does not allow my to get into settings to delete. At the moment I think I have returned to state where I hate computers (been there many times over the past nearly 60 years that I have worked with computers on and off).
    Again many thanks. Tony

• The platform folder contains version 1.10 of the bios:

Have you ever tried to update the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer