Helios 700 Replacement WASD Keys?

Options
ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited June 2020 in Predator Laptops
OK, so while typing today, at some point my "A" key, the standard blue one of the WASD set, popped off.  Ok, that's fine, I'll just pop it back on.  Yeah, no.  If you hit the key anywhere but dead center, it pops off again.  One of the bottom tabs that holds it onto the cross bars underneath is broken off, so only one side stays on now.

I contacted Acer Support, and they said they don't sell the keys, OR the whole keyboard, and that I would need to send it in to their repair center to get a single key popped back on.  It also states they they may wipe the device if necessary.  That's not going to happen.  Not for a single key the size of my fingernail.

Would anyone here know where I can get a new set of keys, or are willing to part with their "A" key, or all the WASD keys (Blue standard, not MagForce).  I'll pay you for them.

You can see the little tab broken off in the bottom left of that key.  Thats the bottom left of the key when it's installed.

Best Answer

• ChevyCam94
    Answer ✓
    Options
    xapim said:
    Reloadable ChevyCam94 personally i would send it back they will replace the complete keyboard its always the best option in my view

I worked it out with them that they will send me a new complete keyboard slide, and I'll do the swap at home.  They will put a hold on $150 (price of the keyboard), and when they receive the old one, release the hold.  That way I get to keep using my computer for my business and still get it fixed under warranty.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ChevyCam94
    Options
    I did.  They don't carry anything above the Helios 500.  The Helios 700 (PH717) isn't anywhere on their site.
  • ChevyCam94
    Options
    I get the feeling, from reading their About section, that they make keys similar to OEM, but are not actual OEM distributors.  So specialty keys are something they won't have.
  • ChevyCam94
    Options
    Any other ideas?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you contacted technical support to verify that they only send this key?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ChevyCam94
    Options
    Have you contacted technical support to verify that they only send this key?
    Yes.  I called support first, because I'm still under warranty until December.  They wanted to send in the whole laptop just to replace one key, which is designed to be user replaceable to begin with.
  • Reloadable
    Reloadable Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. My A key broke in the same spot just this past week. However, this is my third key to have this exact same issue and break... My Q key went first, then my G, now my A. Even my spacebar has begun popping off at one corner every so often. As someone who uses this laptop and keyboard constantly, for gaming, working, research, writing papers, etc... it's been a nightmare. I'm incredibly disappointed with the workmanship employed by Acer on this. 20 years of owning laptops, never had a broken key before in my life, let alone three from the same laptop. 

I went down the same route as you OP, got nowhere useful. I can't afford to send my laptop in every three weeks because a new key breaks, and I don't know that an entirely new keyboard would be any different. Luckily, I have a second, older laptop on hand (An HP). The key caps themselves from that laptop did not fit the retainer clip for the Helios 700, but I managed to remove both key cap and retainer from the laptop and insert ones from the old laptop. It works. It doesn't match, and it feels a lil weird to have keys at slightly different elevations from the keyboard, but... it functions totally fine. I can still play League of Legends with my Q button now lol. Give it a try if you have a different laptop laying around you don't use? 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    Reloadable ChevyCam94 personally i would send it back they will replace the complete keyboard its always the best option in my view

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ChevyCam94
    Answer ✓
    Options
    xapim said:

I worked it out with them that they will send me a new complete keyboard slide, and I'll do the swap at home.  They will put a hold on $150 (price of the keyboard), and when they receive the old one, release the hold.  That way I get to keep using my computer for my business and still get it fixed under warranty.
  • xapim
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ChevyCam94 thats a very good deal and must be an exception because they dont do it usually  :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    So, will you change the entire keyboard? Check out this disassembly video:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ChevyCam94
    Options
    I have it all fixed now.  Got the replacement keyboard today, had it replaced in just under 2 hours.  This laptop is NOT tech friendly.  lol
  • xapim
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ChevyCam94 glad u got it fixed finally and the beasts are usually a bit more complicated than the normal predators especially the H700 because of the keyboard retraction :)

Acer support:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @ChevyCam94 Did you change the entire keyboard? Or just replaced the damaged keys?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ChevyCam94
    Options
    @ChevyCam94 Did you change the entire keyboard? Or just replaced the damaged keys?
    I replaced the entire keyboard.  Different serial number.  Acer would know if I didn't send back a different one.

If you're curious what they keyboard mech looks like, these are my disassembly photos.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Great post. You removed the rivets with a soldering iron, correct?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ChevyCam94
    Options
    Great post. You removed the rivets with a soldering iron, correct?
    What rivets?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I mean this here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ChevyCam94
    Options
    What kind of computer is that from?  I've been working on computer repair for almost 20 years, and I've never once had to replace a keyboard by melting a mounting post.

Besides, it looks like, from that photo, that you would also need to replace the keyboard bezel, as you'd destroy the posts when your melt them.

But no, the Helios 700 has no melted posts holding anything together that has any reason to be separated.  😎👍
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is the keyboard of the model A515-51g.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer