TC-605 Upgraded BIOS to P11.B4, Wont boot Now

Options
chris45
chris45 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hope somebody can help me.
I have a TC-605 Desktop which worked fine with Win 10, SSD boot disk on BIOS P11.A0. I have quite a few experiences with successfully upgrading BIOS on our other Acer computers before, but I upgraded to BIOS P11.B4 the TC-605 to P11.B4, now it wont boot. Now when I turn my PC, display says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press key"When I go to the PC setup, I see it recognizes my SSD on AHCI port 1, but in Boot Options, I only see 1st Boot Device as Hard Disk, no SSD. Cna anyone point me the right direction to get it going again?
FYI, this was a hand me down PC from my son, which I removed the HDD, as it needs repartitioning. TIA - Chris

Best Answer

• chris45
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Bill, thanks for replying to my post. I found a similar case on the web that suggested disabling Secure Boot and setting Launch CSM to always. This worked for my case and now am able to boot to win 10 again. his TC-605 came with an i5-4440, 8MB ram and Win 8 on a 1TB HDD in 2013, I have now upgraded it to Win 10 in a 500 gB SSD which is now my boot drive and use the HDD as my secondary. Familiar with radios, but not with PC's - but the SSD boot drive is an MBR (Basic. with Boot, page file, etc in a Pri partition, a 0.6 gB system Reserve in another Pri part, and an unallocated 47gB ), and HDD is a GPT (Basic. 931 gB main part, 0.3 gB EFI part and 0.4 gB unallocated)
    I am curious however if there is a way to still enable Secure Boot and avail of its better security? which I am only now starting to learn about...
    TIA for any enlightenment. Chris

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try doing a BIOS reset to defaults, then if that doesn't help lets look at how the boot options are setup. Your computer was designed right in the middle of the switch from W7 to W8 and it might not have the UEFI set right. It's also possible that if you got to W10 via upgrades from W7 that you need to be Legacy boot. A list of the partitions on the drive will help determine that, if UEFI there will likely be a couple of really small hidden partitions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chris45
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Bill, thanks for replying to my post. I found a similar case on the web that suggested disabling Secure Boot and setting Launch CSM to always. This worked for my case and now am able to boot to win 10 again. his TC-605 came with an i5-4440, 8MB ram and Win 8 on a 1TB HDD in 2013, I have now upgraded it to Win 10 in a 500 gB SSD which is now my boot drive and use the HDD as my secondary. Familiar with radios, but not with PC's - but the SSD boot drive is an MBR (Basic. with Boot, page file, etc in a Pri partition, a 0.6 gB system Reserve in another Pri part, and an unallocated 47gB ), and HDD is a GPT (Basic. 931 gB main part, 0.3 gB EFI part and 0.4 gB unallocated)
    I am curious however if there is a way to still enable Secure Boot and avail of its better security? which I am only now starting to learn about...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    chris45 said:

First, send us a captions of your existing bios "Boot" so we can see exactly what you have? Because, your original boot spinner HDD was/is a GPT (UEFI) drive, also, have you formatted the original boot GPT HHD? 

You should have first cloned (with either Macrium Reflect or EaseUS type software) your OEM spinner boot GPT HDD to the new SSD first and then taken the OEM spinner GPT HDD boot drive out and replaced the OEM GPT HDD boot drive with the SSD cloned GPT, so that your laptop would have booted in "Secure Boot" and UEFI, that is why you had to disable the “Secure Boot” and that is why the SSD is in an MBR “Legacy” mode format now.

If you haven’t formatted the original boot drive GPT (UEFI) then you can still clone this drive to the SSD (as I explained above) if not then see this guide “How to convert MBR to GPT drive to switch BIOS to UEFI on Windows 10” here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

• billsey
    Options
    It looks to me like the clone from the original drive to the SSD didn't create everything needed. What's happening right now is you are booting from the HDD, then launching Windows from the SSD. Although that works it's very much not optimal. The SSD should have a 100MB EFI partition, a small (likely 450MB) recovery boot partition, the system partition and a recovery image partition somewhere between 1GB and 15GB in size. The HDD should just end up with one big data partition and nothing else. The drive you boot from has to be GPT so you should migrate the SSD to GPT from MBR. That can be done without loss of data. Once you have it booting from the SSD you can re-enable secure boot.
    If you don't have very many third party applications installed it might be simpler to just pull the HDD out for a bit and do a fresh full install of Windows 10 to the SSD, wiping all the existing partitions in the process. Then plug the HDD back in and re-partition it for just data. If there are too many third party applications that would have to be reinstalled, just do as StevenGen suggests and redo the clone properly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chris45
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. From the info you sent me, it seems that I could convert my TC-605's current MBR Boot SSD (C:) to GPT still and make it compatible with Secure Boot and do away with CSM?
    Hope these info from BIOS and Win 10 Disk Management are what you need, currently...

From BIOS:
    Authentication
      System Boot State                                 User
      Secure Boot Mode State                         Disabled
      Secure Boot                                           Disabled
    Advanced
    Misc
      AHCI Port 1                                   Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
      AHCI Port 2                                   HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GHA2N
      AHCI Port 3                                   ST1000DM003-1CH162
    Boot Options
      Launch CSM                                  Always
    Boot Priority Order
      1st Boot Device                            P0: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
      2nd Boot Device                           Removable Device
      3rd Boot Device                            CD&DVD
      4th Boot Device                            LAN   
    Hard Disk Priority
      1st Boot Device                            P0: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
      2nd Boot Device                           UEFI: ST1000DM003-1CH162

From Disk Management:
    Volume                    Layout   Type         File System        Status
    (Disk 1 partition 1)   simple   basic                                 Healthy (EFI System Partition)
    Secondary (D:)         simple   basic        NTFS                  Healthy (Basic Data Partition)
    System (C:)              simple   basic        NTFS                  Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    System Reserved      simple   basic        NTFS                  Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    Disk 0: (465.76GB Online) System Reserved 579MB NTFS, System (C:) 418.62 GB NTFS, 46.58GB
    Disk 1: (931.39GB Online) 401MB Unallocated, 300MB Healthy (EFI System Partition), Secondary (D:) 930.70 GB NTFS Healthy (Basic Data Partition)

TIA,
    Ramon
  • chris45
    Options
    Hi Bill,

Just saw your last post , thanks. From the info you provided, I would prefer just converting my MBR C drive to GPT. Previous to this, I have provided more data, as StevenGen has requested, hope you saw them too.
    Thanks, Ramon
  • chris45
    Options
    Hi Bill & Steven,
    Based on MBR2GPT lines during the process, "Conversion completed successfully" (thanks to you guys), so it seems my MBR to GPT conversion of my boot SSD was OK (I am now able to boot Win 10 with Secure Boot enabled and Launch CSM: Never). There are 2 lines after this though that says the following and need guidance on what to do with these:
    "Call Winrereapir to repair WinRE"
    "Failed to update Reagent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable WinRE"
    BTW could the above be the cause of 2 consecutive beeps (after the usual 1 beep) I now hear when the PC starts up? The CMOS battery voltage is OK, about 3.3V and tried switching around the 2 RAM sticks too, but I still hear them.
    TIA, Ramon

• billsey
    Options
    Try removing the HDD and booting just on the SSD. If the issues go away it was still using the HDD for some stuff that it shouldn't have been. If there's nothing on the HDD important at that point you can just wipe all the partitions and create one volume the full size of the drive. What I believe you are going to find though is that when you attempt to boot with only the SSD installed it will fail. Disk Management seems to be saying that the EFI partition is on disk1, the HDD. This partition is FAT32 instead of NTFS and holds the portion of the BIOS that UEFI launches before the OS starts to load. The system reserved partition is likely the Recovery partition, the C: and D: partitions are mostly as expected. What you want is for drive 0 to have the EFI, the Recovery and the C: partitions and drive 1 just just have the D:. If it's feasible, I'd just pull the HDD out, do a clean install of Windows to the SSD while wiping all partitions during the install when it gets to the "where do you want it" step. Then once installed and booted to verify it's all working put the hDD back in, clean it and create the D: partition. Make sure you have your data files backed up so you can restore them.
  • chris45
    Options
    Hi Bill - I tried just my boot SSD with the HDD disconnected, and the PC it still boots. I am trying to avoid reinstalling Win 10 in my SSD, as I've got quite a few apps installed there (originally, I tried to setup Win 10 to install new apps to the HDD, but some apps do not give a choice and just automatically install to the boot SSD). I've found some info on the web about how to repair the WinRE (re the MBR2GPT report in my previous post), but they're not the most straightforward. In the end I might not have much choice but reinstall Win 10 on the boot SSD, as you are suggesting...Tnx
  • billsey
    Options
    I wonder if you somehow got the system switched into Legacy boot mode instead of UEFI... That might explain booting with just the SSD when the SSD doesn't have a EFI partition. What you could do is create a full backup of the C: drive, with verify turned on so you can be comfortable that it is a full image. Next do the new Windows install on the SSD with the BIOS set for UEFI Boot and all partition wiped so you do the install to the unallocated space on an empty drive. When you are up and running restore the backup and all your programs and data should come back. It would be the same as recovering from a disk failure using your backup. Note that File History will not work for this, it will only backup your data files, not the programs. Either use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore that's included with Windows 10 or something like Macrium Reflect. Once you are back up and running with a properly setup SSD then we can go through the process of dealing with the HDD and setting it up as a data drive.
  • chris45
    Options
    Hi Bill,
    Can you suggest a free/share ware that would let me wipe out the SSD (and later on HDD partitions) to prep for Win 10 clean install? As you suggested, I would use the Win 10's Win 7 Backup & Restore on my SSD first (to HDD) before reinstalling on it. Tnx
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    chris45 said:
    Hi Bill,
    Can you suggest a free/share ware that would let me wipe out the SSD (and later on HDD partitions) to prep for Win 10 clean install? As you suggested, I would use the Win 10's Win 7 Backup & Restore on my SSD first (to HDD) before reinstalling on it. Tnx
    You don't need any software to "wipe out the SSD (and later on HDD partitions)" you can format your ssd through the "Windows 10 Installation" process and after you install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, then connect your 2nd HDD and format it through Windows 10, its a simple process.

First have a look at this guide "How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support" from here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support this will explain to you exactly what you have to do to make a bootable UEFI Windows 10 USB and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, good luck.

• billsey
    Options
    Yeah, Steve is right. When you are doing the install and it gets to the point where it asks which partition to use, you can select and delete each partition on the drive until it just shows unallocated space. At that point when you say go ahead it will create the needed partitions on the drive for you, and maximize the space available to C:.
  • chris45
    Options
    Thank you Steve and Bill. I would try your suggestions
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know how it works out.
  • chris45
    Options
    As you suggested, I have clean-installed Win 10 on my boot SSD (now GPT Basic, also with 100MB EFI and 540MB recovery partitions) and now works with UEFI Secure Boot and CMS disabled. Backup and recovery did not work so well, as many apps were not transferred, however I previously copied all the SSD contents on an external drive, so all is not lost.
    I have also copied all my secondary HDD contents to the external drive and diskpart cleaned it. It now is GPT Basic with just one partition, and would shortly copy all my external files to it. Since HDD is only 1TB, I'm not sure there is any advantage to converting it to dynamic?
    Thanks to you Bill & Steven -
  • billsey
    Options
    No, converting to dynamic isn't a good idea, it'll just slow things down a bit. You only really want dynamic if you want to resize partitions without third party utilities or want to do software RAID tasks. Booting from a dynamic disk can also end up a bit dicey.
  • chris45
    Options
    I'll just do some housekeeping on my files, but I guess that's it. Thanks to you Bill and Steven for all your help - Chris
  • billsey
    Options
    Good enough. Be sure to mark the best answer so others searching for the same thing will get this thread pushed higher in the search queue.