ACER Swift SF314-52G -This laptop does not support an Ethernet adapter.

AGIERYIC
AGIERYIC Member Posts: 8 New User
edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
This laptop does not support an Ethernet Adapter. 
I contacted Acer tech support to find if they have an ethernet USB CD converter cable. They do not. They only support the very old installed ethernet to USB 2.0 adapter. This laptop has a USB C port. I'm sure that it should support an aftermarket "ethernet to USB C cable adapter". 
Just asking if anyone else is familiar with this and can confirm.
From all my experiences, it seems every year Acer tech support becomes less knowledgeable - but that's the case with many computer support departments
Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon AGIERYIC !

This is because it depends on the access of the internal controllers in the USB connections.
    I believe it is possible:

httpsimages3kabumcombrprodutosfotos103593adaptador-md9-conversor-tipo-c-x-rj45-8106_1567085223_ggjpg
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon AGIERYIC !

This is because it depends on the access of the internal controllers in the USB connections.
    I believe it is possible:

httpsimages3kabumcombrprodutosfotos103593adaptador-md9-conversor-tipo-c-x-rj45-8106_1567085223_ggjpg
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• AGIERYIC
    AGIERYIC Member Posts: 8 New User
    This is the exact type that I was leaning towards but wanted to be sure. I’m sure it will support it for USBC is a standard configuration
  • MaClane
    If you buy, let me know here if it works or not.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• iberntz
    iberntz Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2023

I tried to leverage a Lenovo USB-C Travel Hub that I already had on an SF314-58, so not a 52 one. The Travel Hub includes a VGA port, an USB-A 2.0 port, an HDMI port and a gigabit ethernet port. It failed to recognize it and gave a message of non-recognized USB accessory. So, no success yet...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Usually you have to install a driver for device like that. What does Device Manager show when it's connected?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.