Travelmate 5740

brtobiah
brtobiah Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, 1st time blogger.  I have an Acer 5740-5896 and want to load Win10.  I've formatted the HD.  I have Win10 install on flashdrive.  When I boot the 5740 from USB I get message "This drive can only boot in UEFI mode. It can not boot in BIOS/Legacy mode."   Can I change something that will run the 5740 in UEFI mode? Update BIOS?  Or will this older unit not be able to?  Thanks

Best Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Redo your USB and set  it up for Partition scheme – MBR and Target system – BIOS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r51Ce-b7Ds&feature=youtu.be
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    You need the ISO file to reflash the drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Great! I'm glad you got it sorted without having to wait for IT to get back. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • philetus
    Not necessarily speed, but it would handle every thing  better. Also with 2 2gb dimms, your memory would run in Dual Channel.
    https://beebom.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-memory/
     If you haven't had any problems with 2gb, just leave it as it is.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Your machine can actually be bumped to 8GB in total by replacing both SO-DIMMs with 4GB versions. If you did that you would likely want to update the OS to the 64bit version instead of the 32bit you are using now. That's a full reinstall, not an upgrade... You'll need a new key to swap versions like that. If you leave it at 32bit there's no incentive to go beyond 4GB in total, since it won't even be able to use all of the 4GB (32bit maxes out around 3.75GB).

Answers

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Redo your USB and set  it up for Partition scheme – MBR and Target system – BIOS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r51Ce-b7Ds&feature=youtu.be
  • brtobiah
    Ran into a snag.  The one who set up the flash drive for me didn't give me iso file.  On the drive there are the individual files: boot, efi, sources, support, autorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, recovery, and setup.  Is there a way to use these or have him make me an iso file? 
  • billsey
    You need the ISO file to reflash the drive.
  • brtobiah
    Ok, will do. Thanks much!
  • brtobiah
    Is it possible to take the individual files I listed above and create an ISO file?
  • brtobiah
    I think I have it
  • philetus
    That last link I gave you is an ISO from Microsoft.
  • brtobiah
    I tried it but it wanted a product key.  I'm working with someone from our IT who gave me the original install. He's on vac and I'm just trying some things out.  I found a program that makes an ISO from those files so now I'm trying the Rufus thing
  • brtobiah
    Used ImageBurn to make an ISO from those files and Win10 now installed.  Appreciate all the help, I've learned more
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Great! I'm glad you got it sorted without having to wait for IT to get back. :)
  • brtobiah
    Me again, just curious.  This Acer 5740 Travelmate is 13 yrs old is 64-bit and has an Intel Core i3, 2.27GHz, 2Gb Ram.  Would I see much increase in speed if I went up to 4Gb Ram?
  • philetus
    Not necessarily speed, but it would handle every thing  better. Also with 2 2gb dimms, your memory would run in Dual Channel.
    https://beebom.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-memory/
     If you haven't had any problems with 2gb, just leave it as it is.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Your machine can actually be bumped to 8GB in total by replacing both SO-DIMMs with 4GB versions. If you did that you would likely want to update the OS to the 64bit version instead of the 32bit you are using now. That's a full reinstall, not an upgrade... You'll need a new key to swap versions like that. If you leave it at 32bit there's no incentive to go beyond 4GB in total, since it won't even be able to use all of the 4GB (32bit maxes out around 3.75GB).