how to boot acer s1003 2017 with insydeh20 bios vs. 1.15 from bootable usb?

plaurits
plaurits Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
when selecting EFI under boot it only shows windows boot manager.
So how to change boot order s.t. you can boot from USB?

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You may have to click on Set Secure Boot Mode first, but it should just be a mouse click to get in.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • plaurits
    Answer ✓

Hi billsey

Thanks a lot for your advice, works OK now.

I have verified below sequence based on your suggestions:

Setup:

1. acer aspire SW5-012
    2. OTG cable USB A female to Micro-B male
    3. winpe (32 bit) USB key.  Pls. note that winpe disk must include \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi (bootx64.efi will *not* work on this acer model)

Procedure:

1. connect USB winpe disk via OTG cable to micro usb slot on left side of acer
    2. enter bios via F2 key as soon as acer logo shows up
    3. update bios settings as follows:
      1. main:                    enable F12 boot menu
      2. security:               set supervisor password
      3. boot:                    secure boot enabled, boot order set to USB HDD as first one and windows boot manager as the last
      4. exit saving changes
    4. reboot and enter bios again – enter password from above
      1. security:               select an UEFI file as trusted for executing USB1 -> EFI -> boot -> bootia32.efi
      2. exit saving changes
    5. when booting you may press F12 to select which device you want to boot from

Br

Peter Lauritzen

• plaurits
    Answer ✓
    And here the procedure for acer one s1003:

Setup:

1. acer one s1003
    3. winpe (32 bit) USB key.  Pls. note that winpe disk must include \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi (bootx64.efi will *not* work on this acer model)

Procedure:

1. goto boot, select EFI, set up USB as first device (using F5/F6)                         
      2. exit saving changes

Br

Peter Lauritzen

• plaurits
    Answer ✓
    Hi billsey
    I found some of your comments for 64 bit issue and understand that answer here is that windows 64 bit can not be installed?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    IIRC the big problem with trying to switch to 64bit is that several of the important drivers aren't available in 64bit versions. That's the reason the system is locked to 32bit, even when you have 4GB or memory installed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• plaurits

SN: NTLECED002739002784S00

SNID: 739000632428

• billsey
    edited June 2020
    @plaurits there are a couple of changes you need to make in the BIOS in order to boot from a USB device. Primarily you need to have Secure Boot off to allow the system to use a different boot image. With some versions of the BIOS you have to set a password in the BIOS before you can turn secure boot off. You might also have to turn on the boot menu (F12) in order to see the USB choices.
  • plaurits

Hi billsey

Thanks a lot for your advice.

However when pressing F12 during boot I do not see the USB option, only windows boot manager => acer still boots from HD.

I have tried below sequence based on your suggestions:

Setup:    winpe USB disk connected via OTG cable to micro usb slot on left side of acer aspire SW5-012.

I want to check out this one first before going to my other acer S1003, since I assume that issue is same.

Bios settings:

1. main:                    F12 boot menu enabled
    2. security:               supervisor password set
    3. boot:                    secure boot disabled, boot order set to USB HDD first and windows boot manager as the last

Details:

However when pressing F12 during boot I do not see the USB option, only windows boot manager => acer still boots from HD.

Br

Peter Lauritzen

• plaurits
    what I would expect to see
  • billsey
    edited June 2020
    You may have to select the UEFI file as trusted on the USB drive with that version of the BIOS.
  • plaurits
    Hi billsey
    Thanks for advice. I see option "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" under security, but how do I select it?
    br Peter
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    You may have to click on Set Secure Boot Mode first, but it should just be a mouse click to get in.
  • plaurits
    Answer ✓

Hi billsey

Thanks a lot for your advice, works OK now.

I have verified below sequence based on your suggestions:

Setup:

1. acer aspire SW5-012

Procedure:

1. main:                    enable F12 boot menu
      2. security:               set supervisor password
      3. boot:                    secure boot enabled, boot order set to USB HDD as first one and windows boot manager as the last
      4. exit saving changes
    4. reboot and enter bios again – enter password from above
      1. security:               select an UEFI file as trusted for executing USB1 -> EFI -> boot -> bootia32.efi
      2. exit saving changes
    5. when booting you may press F12 to select which device you want to boot from

Br

Peter Lauritzen

• plaurits
    Answer ✓
    And here the procedure for acer one s1003:

Setup:

1. acer one s1003

Procedure:

1. goto boot, select EFI, set up USB as first device (using F5/F6)                         
      2. exit saving changes

Br

Peter Lauritzen

• plaurits
    edited June 2020
    Hi billsey
    Another comment here:
    I was planning to load windows10 64 bit on my acer s1003 with 4gb of ram.
    As mentioned above I have so far only been able to boot from winpe 32 bit.
    When I try to boot from winpe 64 bit, USB is not recognized and s1003 starts from HD.
    I see a lot of discussions in forum about this issue.
    So what is your advice here?
    Esp. how to boot from 64 bit winpe USB in order to install 64 bit version of windows10?
    Br Peter

• plaurits
    Answer ✓
    Hi billsey
    I found some of your comments for 64 bit issue and understand that answer here is that windows 64 bit can not be installed?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    IIRC the big problem with trying to switch to 64bit is that several of the important drivers aren't available in 64bit versions. That's the reason the system is locked to 32bit, even when you have 4GB or memory installed.