USB ports not working code 10

Holiday101
Holiday101 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
A friend gave me an Acer Swift 3 laptop to see if I could fix it before he tossed it out. It has two issues. One is black screen after reopening/reawakening the computer and the other, which I'm trying to deal with now is the act none of the USB ports are working. I see in the Device Manager that the device cannot start and there is a Code 10 error. Tried uninstalling and rebooting, no change. Tried updating chipset, no change. Tried going into power managment and disabling anything to USB, no change. I'd say it's a hardware issue but all 3 USB ports don't work. Any ideas?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    He might have zapped the USB control circuitry, taking all the ports out, but it's also possible it's something in the software. If he's at the point where he's thinking of junking it you are likely OK to just completely wipe and reinstall the OS from a clean image off Microsoft's site. If they are still broken after a full wipe then you've pretty much pinned it down to the hardware...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Holiday101
    Holiday101 Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    He might have zapped the USB control circuitry, taking all the ports out, but it's also possible it's something in the software. If he's at the point where he's thinking of junking it you are likely OK to just completely wipe and reinstall the OS from a clean image off Microsoft's site. If they are still broken after a full wipe then you've pretty much pinned it down to the hardware...
    Thanks. I tried all the possible software fixes. Reinstalled Windows 10 twice. Updated everything, uninstalled and reinstalled USB driver...Nothing works. I thought that there might be no power to the USB ports but then I plugged in a usb mouse which has LED lights and it lit up. So if the USB control circuitry is fried then there's no saving it? I suppose it can still work as a computer without USB but there is no viable hardware fix that would be worth it?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Give me the full model number, there have been a lot of different Swift 3s, and I'll see if I can find anything in the design that might cause it, other than the control circuits. If it were a desktop I'd say just drop a USB card in and run it until the rest fails. Since it's a laptop, that's a little tougher... If we can get one port working we could use a hub to get more ports.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.