Cooling Fan not working only in Windows

hrriddha
hrriddha Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have Ubuntu and Windows 10 both installed in my laptop (Had it for less than a month, so no hardware problems). The problem that has been arising is that the main cooling fan of the laptop does not work when I'm using Windows, while it works properly when in Bios or in Ubuntu. The laptop, when booted in Windows, heats up really bad under proper usage and the fans do not kick in. 

TravelMate P214-52
i51021u, 8GB RAM

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    It sounds like one of the drivers isn't up and running. Does Device Manager complain about anything? If I were to guess I'd think it's likely the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hrriddha
    billsey said:
    It sounds like one of the drivers isn't up and running. Does Device Manager complain about anything? If I were to guess I'd think it's likely the Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver.
    That's what I thought too, so I installed the latest driver from the site (DPTF and Chipset), but no luck. I noticed that the fan does work, but it's speed does not increase with load. It causes games to lag heavily. I ran HeavyLoad to test if the fan speed would increase during literal 100% CPU usage, but no. 

PS. I've already tried the 'Go to power options, change Passive to Active' thing, doesn't work for me.

• billsey
    Which Windows version is it? 2004?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hrriddha
    billsey said:
    Which Windows version is it? 2004?
    Windows 10 1903
  • Maybe this version of the bios fixes the problem?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    That was going to be my next question... Which Bios version is on it? :) If you open System Information (hit the Windows key then type Info and select System Information) just below the CPU type is the BIOS Version.
  • hrriddha
    billsey said:
    That was going to be my next question... Which Bios version is on it? :) If you open System Information (hit the Windows key then type Info and select System Information) just below the CPU type is the BIOS Version.
    It is 1.09, the latest version I think. Could there have been a mistake in installing windows perhaps? Because my laptop originally came only with Ubuntu and Windows was installed later. 
  • Are you sure the fan is really not working? What happens when you reset the battery?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • hrriddha
    Are you sure the fan is really not working? What happens when you reset the battery?

I've noticed it DOES work, but barely enough to keep the CPU from dying. It speeds up at random times, but never during heavy loads. For example, I was trying to play some GTA V but the fan wouldn't increase its speed, which causes heavy lag. And sometimes even some copying and pasting causes it to work at 100%. The speed didn't even increase while running heavy tests in order to MAKE it increase its speed. Really weird, never seen this before. Moreover, bios doesn't let me control fanspeed, which is kinda not good. 
  • I don't know if it will solve your problem. However, what happens when you disable fast startup in windows power options and fastboot in bios? What happens when you update drivers on the intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• hrriddha
    I don't know if it will solve your problem. However, what happens when you disable fast startup in windows power options and fastboot in bios? What happens when you update drivers on the intel and nvidia websites?

I do have the latest Intel driver, and no nvidia driver (No gpu, intel HD). Turning off FastStartup and FastBoot didn't improve anything. It actually seems like turning them off actually had a negative effect, as the fans were even slower. Could it be a bug in a driver? That's my theory. This is really frustrating :(
  • billsey
    What temperatures are you actually seeing in Windows? Have you tried updating to 2004 yet?
  • In addition to what my colleague Billsey asked, what happens when you activate coolboost in acer quick access?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• hrriddha
    Temperatures - Fan was off until temp reached 79 degrees, and then temperatures were between 55-60 (this is under basic Internet browsing). Temperature touches 90 in GTA V, with no increase in the fan speed. 

Windows - Currently at 1909, will update to 2004 asap and tell.

Coolboost - I don't have see that option, only BlueLight filter and USB Charging. 
  • billsey
    The numbers for those temperatures seem normal to me. I'd probably like to have closer to 45-50C when idle, and 90 is reasonable under hardest use, such as when gaming. If fan control is just off/on then you're really just seeing the expected numbers. if the fan has variable speed control then it should be getting better control than you are seeing those. I don't find a fan table in the SG, so I don't know when it's supposed to kick on. It does use a four pin connector, so should be variable speed. I'll check to see if I can get a fan table through tech support...
  • hrriddha
    edited June 2020
    I get that 90 is reasonable, but constant 90 degrees? I won't ever feel comfortable using it, because this is what killed one of my laptops in the past. It should atleast try to cool down? 
    Fan does have variable control, as it does work at different speeds (properly in Ubuntu, random behaviour in Windows) 
  • Did your model come with windows 10 installed? What happens when you reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer