Acer Spin 5 - SP513-51 Battery Issue

Gibbo24
Gibbo24 Member Posts: 7 New User
Hi guys,

I've just started having trouble with charging my battery over the last two days in my Spin 5. It simply does not charge, despite the fact the laptop recognises it and it seems as though its a normal status, stuck at (70% available, plugged in). I've taken it out and just used the AC Adapter (Battery has the 'X' in the tray whilst on AC power) and re-connected and laptop still recognises but does not have the charging icon, or orange LED lights at the side.

I've done the draining power trick for 10 seconds (or 30 seconds, I cant remember the timings) but that didnt change anything, I've also tried to update the drivers, but they seemed to be the latest.

Is there anything else I can do before i try and fix it mysef (Im quite capable of replacing components and the battery, but have zero experience when it comes to soldiering)

I've tried to narrow it down to 4 main areas:

Possible problem with the AC Adapter?
Possible problem with the DC-IN Jack?
Completely dead battery or connectors frayed/eroded (although connections on both motherboard and from battery seem fine)
Or possibly something wrong with the motherboard?

Any help would be appreciated as i cannot take the laptop anywhere without AC power, and I dont particularly want to shell out on a new battery if its only an AC Adapter/DC-IN Jack issue.

Thanks,
Sean

Answers

• Can you check the battery status with hwinfo64? I would like to check the wear.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gibbo24
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply:

Screenshot attactched:

Laptop takes an absolute age to eventually boot up whilst on the AC Adapter. Screen flickers three or four times, keyboard lights turn on and then  off and then eventually on the 4th or 5th attempt the laptop finally comes to the login screen.

Any thoughts? As i said the laptop recognises the battery, but it isnt charging, nor do the charging lights come on

• OK! First try resetting the battery:
    If it doesn't work, check that the battery is connected correctly:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gibbo24
    Thanks again for your reply,

Unfortunately still no charge even with resetting the battery.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sean
  • What happens when you uninstall the AC adapter and battery drivers in the device manager? Have you also checked this button and whether the battery is connected correctly here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gibbo24
    I have un-installed and installed both the battery driver and Ac Adapter driver and still no charge. I have also checked all possible connections outlined above.

Any other ideas?

I feel like i've exhausted all possible driver/component issues, which makes me think its either the DC jack, motherboard or the battery? As the laptop works fine just on AC Adapter power.
  • Gibbo24
    I have also provided a screenshot with BatteryInfo which may provide more insight?

• What happens when you reinstall windows?
    What is the version of the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gibbo24
    Hi there,

Thanks for your response. It turns out there is another reset button just below the battery connector/socket on the MB, which i held down for 5 seconds and to my surprise the battery reset and started functioning again.

Unfortunately as I was taking the laptop apart I mistakenly snapped the small orange keyboard backlight cable and now the keys no longer light up. Do you know where i'd be able to find a replacement keyboard backlight cable? Im struggling to find one online.

Thanks again,
    Sean
  • Did you damage that cable?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gibbo24
    edited June 2020
    Thats the one yeah.

From what i've seen it looks like they dont sell the cables on an individual basis and that they only come as part of a replacement keyboard or top case configuration, unless you know otherwise?

Thanks,
    Sean
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    No, they are bonded at the top side with the keyboard, so the replacement is the full keyboard/top case. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asanka146
    asanka146 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Dear Friend. I had acer spin 3. that model fan out put directly face to the touch screen. lot of time screen get hot due to that reason. im afraid considering about the future.