Fn Key is locked on Swift 3

Options
LindsayP
LindsayP Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
I have just bought an Acer Swift 3 laptop. The Fn key seems to be permanently on, so that if I want to type the letters u, I, o, p, j, k, l etc I get numbers instead. This is driving me nuts!! I'm not very good with computers anyway so any help will be gratefully received. Keep it as simple as possible please!!  Many thanks

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There are many different Swift 3 models and many different keyboards for each. You likely have a NumLk key on your keyboard. Just use that (probably in concert with the Fn key) to turn off the number lock.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options
    Go to Device Manager, expand Keyboards, Right click PS/2 keyboard, uninstall and reboot.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There are many different Swift 3 models and many different keyboards for each. You likely have a NumLk key on your keyboard. Just use that (probably in concert with the Fn key) to turn off the number lock.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LindsayP
    LindsayP Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, Billsey’s solution worked! Feeling a bit daft that it was as simple as that but very relieved that everything seems to be working properly now
  • billsey
    Options
    Glad I could help, they squeeze a lot of stuff into the keyboards these days. :)
  • emtoor
    emtoor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:

Can you explain more please ? your reply has no meaning for me. Thanks.
  • emtoor
    emtoor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    LindsayP said:
    Thank you for all the replies, Billsey’s solution worked! Feeling a bit daft that it was as simple as that but very relieved that everything seems to be working properly now
    LindsayP said:

NumLk key + FN does not work
  • billsey
    Options
    If Fn-NumLk doesn't toggle it for your keyboard, it is likely NumLk by itself that does it.