My Aspire E5-551-T9MG laptop keeps shutting off

JGTV
JGTV Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-551-T9MG

Don't know if it actually overheats because it doesn't get very hot on the outside.
But according to the thermistors the CPU cores are at 145
°C.
HWMonitor info:

It started doing this suddenly the evening of 27/5 2020.
Me and a friend have cleaned it. We opened it, used compressed air to clean from dust, he also changed the cooling paste to a new and better one.
To see the video of me going through all (which pictures above are from), and also to see the task manager, go to https://www.reddit.com/r/JonTV/comments/gwgl3n/oops/
It is not overclocked, if it is then it is just a few MHz which my brother did long long ago. But I think he reset it though.
Yes, I have tried to run it without battery. Still the same.
I am currently having it in the basement which is about 19
°C so I don't think it's a big problem with the air around it.

Any idea? Is it the thermistors showing wrong temperature, or is it actually that hot? How can I fix it?

Answers

• Did this problem occur after any windows update? What happens when you restore windows to a date before the 27th?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JGTV

Tinkerer

Did this problem occur after any windows update? What happens when you restore windows to a date before the 27th?
    Latest windows update was 13/5
  • I think there may be some defective sensor. Also, what is the version of the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JGTV

Tinkerer

I think there may be some defective sensor. Also, what is the version of the bios?
    V1.15

• OK! Access the bios and then press f9 to restore and then press f10. Then, turn off the notebook, disconnect the battery and press the power button for 60 seconds to verify that the power reset resets the temperature parameters.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dancemonkeymadness
    dancemonkeymadness Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    After the BIOS reset, if it's still overheating, start looking at system resources. See if anything is using a high level of CPU. Lower the priority if it is, and see if the temp starts to drop. I'm not sure if the E5s are packing fans any more or if they've switched to a passive design, but two years ago my E5 did have a very quiet exhaust fan, so assuming that's still true... check for it. Make sure the exhaust is blowing air out... fans are common points of failure in laptops, and it's really easy to miss that one if it goes on the blitz because it's so unobtrusive and quiet when it is working. 
  • JGTV

Tinkerer

OK! Access the bios and then press f9 to restore and then press f10. Then, turn off the notebook, disconnect the battery and press the power button for 60 seconds to verify that the power reset resets the temperature parameters.
    Doesn't seem like it. Now it forces to do a Disk repair and then shuts off like it has done from overheat the last 2 1/2 weeks
  • JGTV

Tinkerer

After the BIOS reset, if it's still overheating, start looking at system resources. See if anything is using a high level of CPU. Lower the priority if it is, and see if the temp starts to drop. I'm not sure if the E5s are packing fans any more or if they've switched to a passive design, but two years ago my E5 did have a very quiet exhaust fan, so assuming that's still true... check for it. Make sure the exhaust is blowing air out... fans are common points of failure in laptops, and it's really easy to miss that one if it goes on the blitz because it's so unobtrusive and quiet when it is working. 
    well the fan is working but how to check it is working the right way?
  • JGTV

Tinkerer

Look at my video I uploaded to https://www.reddit.com/r/JonTV/comments/gwgl3n/oops/ where I have task manager in the right half, check it
  • I still think it is a failure in some thermal sensor. Can you confirm temperatures using another program?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JGTV

Tinkerer

I still think it is a failure in some thermal sensor. Can you confirm temperatures using another program?
    Can't get on system now, because after I did
    OK! Access the bios and then press f9 to restore and then press f10. Then, turn off the notebook, disconnect the battery and press the power button for 60 seconds to verify that the power reset resets the temperature parameters.
    It doesn't let me cancel the disk repair which it did before, so it takes too long to get anywhere before it shuts off

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JGTV

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    well yeah i get there, but what then? Also it still shuts off btw so it's very limited time (~3-5 mins)
  • I still think that some sensor is reporting the wrong temperature. Do it:
    a) disconnect the lition battery and the rtc battery from the CMOS
    b) then, press the power button for 30 seconds to eliminate static energy.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JGTV

Tinkerer

I still think that some sensor is reporting the wrong temperature. Do it:
    a) disconnect the lition battery and the rtc battery from the CMOS
    b) then, press the power button for 30 seconds to eliminate static energy.
    Battery seems kinda stuck :astonished:

• Do not remove the rtc battery as it is soldered on the motherboard! What happens when you update the bios to the latest version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JGTV

Tinkerer

Do not remove the rtc battery as it is soldered on the motherboard! What happens when you update the bios to the latest version?
    How do I update? Also it's the latest version already because I bought the laptop after the newest BIOS version was released
  • Can you check the version of the bios? I still think the thermal sensor may be in trouble and showing a wrong temperature reading.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JGTV

Tinkerer

Can you check the version of the bios? I still think the thermal sensor may be in trouble and showing a wrong temperature reading.
    V1.15, i sent earlier :tongue:
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    I still think there may be a problem with the temperature sensor. However, try to perform the power reset:
    a) turn off the notebook, disconnect the power adapter and the lition battery;
    b) press the power button for 60 seconds;
    c) check if the problem occurs with the lithium battery disconnected.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer